A Sheep Before Her Shearers
by Paula Titus

"Molly, where'd you hide my new coffee mug?" Caitlin Chambers suspiciously eyed her mischievous six year old as if she were about to shakedown a hardened criminal.

"I didn't hide it anywhere Mommy," Molly replied.

Caitlin frantically opened and closed each kitchen cabinet. Her anger rising, she turned toward Molly and began the inquisition. "I don't have time for your hide-n-seek games this morning, and I'm in no mood for guessing. Now WHERE did you hide it?"

"I promise," Molly said, "I didn't do it."

"You said the same thing yesterday before I found my book in the clothes dryer." Caitlin hurried to the family room and began tossing sofa cushions in the air. "You know I have the Coffee Clique today, if you don't tell me where it is you're going to be in big trouble."

Molly insisted, "I didn't take it!" Her eyes began to glisten with tears. Caitlin was much too wise to let the tears fool her - she knew Molly had fibbed before.

"Get in the car." Caitlin snapped. The drive to school was unusually somber as Caitlin contemplated the stubbornness of her child. Caitlin pulled into the school's drop off zone and told Molly, "We'll talk about the mug later." Caitlin leaned over for the customary good-bye kiss. Without even looking in her mother's direction, Molly darted from the car.

"She's got a temper too," Caitlin mumbled to herself as she drove away. Her mind quickly turned to her to-do list, so much to finish before the ladies from church came for coffee and Bible study. Caitlin enjoyed taking her turn hosting the Calvary Church's Coffee Clique; it gave her a chance to showcase her decorating skills. She had bought the extravagant coffee mug especially for the purpose. The tiny white snowflakes that adorned the deep blue mug caught her eye immediately. Once Caitlin envisioned the ladies ogling and awing over the mug, it was easy to plop down the twenty five dollars.

Caitlin had just finished polishing the mirrors, rearranging her one-of-a-kind knick knacks, and plumping each pillow when the first guest arrived.

"Morning Barb, come on in" Caitlin smiled and escorted Barb to the kitchen where she poured her a steaming cup of cinnamon flavored coffee. They then retreated to the family room where Caitlin made small talk about designer draperies and such.

After everyone arrived, Barb, who always led the women's Bible study, began the lesson. "Let's turn to Isaiah 53:7." She began to read, "He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth."

"Jesus could have easily exposed every heart of those who were out to persecute Him," Laura commented as she leaned over to set her coffee mug on the table. Caitlin lunged to slide a coaster under the cup.

"Yeah, they accused Him of all sorts of things - breaking God's laws, blasphemy, partying with sinners." Fanny spoke softly.

Barb added, "I often wonder how Jesus felt when so many were accusing Him falsely. He was innocent of all the charges, but knew God's plan had to be fulfilled. He went quietly to the cross, silent to the slaughter."

"Lambs are silent to the slaughter, did you know that?" Theresa asked.

"I didn't know that. But I know how I feel when someone accuses me of something I didn't do. I want to defend myself right away and with a vengeance." Caitlin exclaimed. She was remembering the time someone accused her of shopping at a second-hand store. She only bought quality products. "Anyone need more coffee?" Caitlin asked.

"I don't want more, but can you just stick this in the microwave for a quick heat-up please?" Barb offered Caitlin her half full mug.

"Sure Barb." Caitlin walked to the kitchen and slung open the microwave door. Caitlin's heart burned with shame when she saw her new snowflake covered coffee mug staring back at her from inside the microwave. It was right where she had left it the night before, still filled with water for the tea she had forgotten to make.


Bible Quote - Isaiah 53:7 KJV

Paula Titus is an administrative assistant by day, freelance writer by night. She also writes articles for gotquestions.org and is an avid blogger. With coffee racing through her veins, she eagerly tackles each day, one word at a time. Check out Paula's blog: http://mywritefulplace.blogspot

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print