Seek Him First
by Filoiann Wiedenhoff

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you." NKJV

If anyone knows me, they know that I am one to be very busy. There is always a meeting, a church or family function, my kids practices and many other things that keep me going all day long. Sometimes it feels as though 24 hours is not long enough.

Unfortunately I know that I am not alone. In this life we are tempted to seek after many things, with so many distractions and interruptions that can take us away from the things that really matter. Matthew 6:33 is one of my favorite passages because it brings me back to where my priorities need to start. What does Jesus say here in Matthew 6:33? To seek first the kingdom of God. The word "seek" in the Hebrew means "to search for as in searching for silver or gold" and Jesus makes a clear note to where on the priority list He should be; which is "FIRST" and what does He promise will happen if we do? That, all these things shall be added to us.

There's an old story about a man who worked in the Ukraine. He had three jobs to support his family and most days his families never saw him because he would leave early before they woke up and come home late when they were fast asleep. One day he shared with a co-worker that he didn't know if he could go on like this and was afraid he was going to die at an early age.

The man he worked with shared with him the love of Jesus Christ and he received Jesus Christ into his heart. His co-worker then told him he needed to work less, spend time with his family and spend time with God each day. The man laughed and said he was crazy and that he had no time to see his family, he definitely didn't have time to spend with God. The co-worker than told the man, if he would make that time with God, that God would bless him in ways he wouldn't believe.

The man thought about this for a few weeks, and then by faith, he quit one of his jobs so that he could get more rest, spend more time with his family and spend time with God. Within that same month, his boss from one of his jobs came to him and told him that they noticed him as one of their faithful employees and gave him a promotion that paid double and a half what he was making. This is a true story.

The bible says that where our treasure is our heart will be also. What is your treasure today? Are you making time with God? If not I want to encourage you to remember Christ as your first love and return to Him and go back to doing the things you did at first. Anything that we put before God is considered an idol and apart from Him we can do nothing.

What does Jesus say will happen if we seek the Kingdom of God first? That, all these things will be added or given to us. I encourage you to make a decision today to do as Mary did; she chose to sit at the Lord's feet rather than be "too busy" for God, and Jesus said that Mary made the better choice and it will never be taken away from her. When we choose to honor God with our time, God will honor us with His presence.

Dear Heavenly Father,

It is so easy for me to be busy. Please help me to slow down, sit at your feet and spend time with you that I can make you my number one priority. Please forgive me if I have strayed and refresh my heart and make me new again. Thank you Jesus for loving me and hearing my prayers. Amen

Filoiann M. Wiedenhoff is a pastor's wife,work at home mom, Womans Biblical Counselor, Bible Teacher and Writer.   View her website for more articles http://filoiannwiedenhoff.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print