MOM, I REMEMBER essay
by Richard L. Provencher

You letting us dunk our cookies in our glasses of milk at the kitchen table.

You laughing as you watched us lick the sweetness from our Oreo cookies.

You letting us help bake cookies, especially peanut butter ones.

You giving us the eye, when we pushed elbows across our table space.

The feast we had when you came home with Chinese Food from Dick Woo's.

Shaking your head when we melted our plastic toys on the hallway grill.

Running from a spider after you chased it down the hallway.

Hearing you scream when you realized I had two live pike in the bathtub.

Your smile when I put neighborhood cats in our basement to chase mice.

Saying "Run!" after lighting the new oil stove, hoping it wouldn't explode.

Your shock when you found out our gerbil made a nest in the collar of your fur coat.

The yummy sandwiches you made when we went to Moose Bay Beach.

Sitting around the living room listening to Boston Blackie on the radio.

All of us cuddling up on the couch watching our TV for the first time (I was 13)

How you sprinkled Holy Water in each of the rooms during a thunderstorm.

And you holding our hands crossing the street, so no harm would come.

Whispering sweet prayers, heads bowed as we knelt at night, together.


* * *

Richard L. Provencher 2008

81 Queen Street, Unit 6, Truro, Nova Scotia
Canada B2N 2B2 Phone (902) 897-2344
E-mail: [email protected]

Word Count = 225 for the above essay.

Richard enjoys writing poems; many of which have been published in Print and Online. He and his wife, Esther are also co-authors of stories and a print novel. They are "born again" Christians and very busy in their church, Abundant Life Victory International, in Bible Hill, Nova Scotia.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print