A Tribute to a Good Man
by Jerry Ousley

On March 4th, 2008 our family lost a good man. He was my cousin, David Colwell. He was a man full of integrity, compassion and a genuine interest in what others had to say. Dave was a unique individual. I believe those reasons were why he was so successful in life. When you do the right things the things that God wants you to do, well the results will always be success. That success may not necessarily fit the world's definition but it does fit God's definition.

Dave left us in a very tragic way and I know that his wife, children, grandchildren, brother and parents all want to know why. When something tragic takes place it's natural for some folks to question God. We feel such a loss that we can't understand why God would let something like this happen to us.

I've said before that I don't have all the answers. Really, other than God Himself I don't think anyone does. We can quote scripture, fill our heads with theological knowledge and put tittles behind our names but that doesn't make us qualified to answer for God. The fact is we'll never fully understand until we get to Heaven and hear the straight of it from God.

We know that death and tragedy are in the world because of sin. I don't mean that the individuals experiencing such tragedies have necessarily sinned themselves and are getting their just punishment from God. I mean that death and tragedy are here because of the sin nature of man. When Adam sinned in Eden God was forced to put a curse on this world. I've often looked at a beautiful setting and thought, "What would it look like of it wasn't under the curse?" There's only one way we'll ever know and that's to become a follower of Jesus Christ and be ready when He comes and regenerates this planet. I expect that we've never witnessed such beauty as we will when that day comes.

God also allows tragedy to strike because we are all given free wills. At funerals we've all heard the words "God took them because He needed them in Heaven." I believe that God in His infinite foreknowledge knows when each of us will leave this world. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it was His will that someone go tragically. Other people are living in sin. They commit murder and are under the influence of the devil who's mission is to steal, kill and destroy. Sometimes good people are victims of another's sin and disobedience to God. They do things that take the lives of the innocent. I don't believe that God necessarily willed that it was their time to go. But He didn't stop it because He refuses to violate the free will of a single one of us. Thank God that the alternative is a happy home in Heaven for those who are believer's in Jesus Christ and fall prey to the sin of others.

Know that God loves you. Know that He will take care of you even if you are a victim of the sin of others. Know that no matter what befalls us in this life God will be there. Sometimes He will protect us. Other times He will allow tragedy to take place. Again I can't answer every situation. But I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God will give the best to His children even in the face of tragedy.

He is God and nothing or no one can change that fact. Be blessed today in that assurance. Be comforted in your own tragic situations and even though our loved ones will be terribly missed they are in His hands. That will bring comfort to our hearts. Even in our grief we can know that in reality and even though it may not seem like it, God is still in control and He will make the best of every situation if we'll only look to Him and allow it to happen.

Jerry D. Ousley is the author of ?Soul Challenge?, ?Soul Journey?, ?Ordeal?, ?The Spirit Bread Daily Devotional and his first novel ?The Shoe Tree.?  Visit our website at spiritbread.com to download these and more completely free of charge.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print