AN EVERYDAY HERO essay
by Richard L. Provencher

The woman I married 33 years ago is Esther, my hero and best friend. She has endured much in her life, and is like a comfortable teddy bear, soothing and caring, for others and myself. Our four children are grown but her energy level is far reaching.

Her patience and love nursed me through a stroke in August of 1999. When able, she encouraged me to join her as a volunteer working with Kane's Kitchen in Truro, and to visit seniors in local nursing homes. Years ago, she even organized a team of ladies to teach mother-led families in homemaking and cooking skills.

For twelve years, she has led a Bible Study group in our home and provided dozens of home-cooked meals for single people. She always has an encouraging word for others; volunteers as our church bookkeeper and enjoys teaching Sunday school.

*

Esther divorced when she lived in Halifax with her three children, ages 4-7. Although determined to collect Child Support through the Family Court she only received one monthly child support payment. Her strength of will decided her to move to Sarnia, Ontario and begin a new life for her family. She took up cooking and housekeeping in return for one room in her uncle's home.

Needing more space she and the children moved into Ontario Housing. Independence thrived within her spirit and although her children were still young, she gambled on her abilities.

After accepting a full-time Banking position she became a role model for her children to emulate in their own search for success. It was difficult, but with help from family and friends she managed. Besides, her family depended on her.

*

The woman I met and married in Sarnia, Ontario 33 years ago is Esther, my hero and best friend. I as well as others count on her to continue making our lives complete. She has endured much in her life, and is like a comfortable teddy bear, soothing and caring.

I still remember the day I came face to face with this lady who inspired me. She proved, without egotistical boasting, a woman could fill a leadership role, and effectively too, while teaching a man a thing, or three, to me.

The woman I came love and admire, my wife, became a confidant in my work. Her invaluable advice brought to my attention, a dimension missing in my own managerial decisions. She provided me with a more balanced wisdom in understanding others, and the right mixture of love and discipline in raising our family.

* * *

Richard L. Provencher 2008

Richard enjoys writing poems; many of which have been published in Print and Online. He and his wife, Esther are also co-authors of stories and a print novel. They are "born again" Christians and very busy in their church, Abundant Life Victory International, in Bible Hill, Nova Scotia.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print