1 Peter 5:8-10
by Don Costello



Be sober, be viligant; because your adversary the devil, as a roraring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

1."Be sober, be vigilant"

a. sober [3525 * nepho] [Zodhiates: To be sober
minded, watchful, circumspect. The word does not mean to abstain from the use of alcohol but rather to refrain from the abuse of it which leads to intoxication.] [Bullinger: To be sober, temperate, abstinate, esp., in respect to wine. Heresober minded, watchful, circumspect.] [Vines: Signifies to be free from the influence of intoxicants; in the NT metaphorically, it does not in itself imply watchfulness, but is used in association with it.]

1). Three times in this epistle Peter tells us to be
sober: 1 Peter 1:13; 4:7; 5:8. As the definitions
point out, he is speaking spiritually, that we are to be alert in our spiritual senses.

2). Isaiah 29:9, 10 "Stay yourselves, and wonder; cry ye out, and cry: they are drunken, but not with not with wine; they stagger, but not with strong drink.
For the LORD hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he
covered."

b. viligant [1127 * gregoreuo] [Vines: Spiritual alertness.] [Zodhiates: To watch, refrain from sleep. It was transferred in meaning from the physical to the moral sphere.]

1). This word also speaks about our spiritual senses. It is used 27 times in the NT, 21 times it is rendered watch; 1 time wake; 1 time vigilant and 4 times exercise or exercised. All of these uses speak to our spiritual senses.

2). The reason for his admonition is related in the rest of the verse.

2. "because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour."

a. There is an interesting passage in Job that sheds on this verse.

1). Job 1:6-7 "Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.
And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it."

2). If we add the last five words of 1 Peter 5:8 onto Job 1:7 we can see the dialogue more clearly. "Then Satan answered the LORD and said, From going to And fro in the earth and from walking up and down in it seeking whom I may devour."

b. Psalm 17:8-12 "Keep me as the apple of the eye,
hide me under the shadow of thy wings,
From the wicked that oppress me, from my deadly
enemies, who compass me about.
They are enclosed in their own fat: with their mouth they speak proudly.
They have now compassed us in our steps: they have
set their eyes bowing down to the earth;
Like as a lion that is greedy of his prey, and as it
were a young lion lurking in secret places."

1 Peter 5:9

Whom resist steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

1."Whom resist steadfast in the faith"

a. steadfast [4731 * stereos] [Zodhiates: Stable, firm, solidFiguratively meaning firm, strong immovable.]

b. It is a Covenant truth that our ability to steadfastly and successfully resist the devil is grounded first and foremost in what God did for us through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ; but it is also directly related to our vigilance and soberness and our faith.

c. A verse that relays that truth so clearly is James
4:7. Before we resist the devil we have to submit our
selves to God, resisting by itself is not enough. We have to place ourselves under God's authority before we can exercise that authority against the devil.

1). James 4:7 "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you."

2. "knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world."

a. afflictions [3804 * pathema] [Zodhiates: Suffering, affliction. The sufferings of a Christian are so called because they are endured for the sake of Christ"

b. accomplished [2005 * epiteleo] [Zodhiates: To
finish, complete, perfect, to undergo, endure.]

c. It is an affliction to resist our adversary and his temptations. In order to grow up in Christ we will have these afflictions.

1). Hebrews 11:24, 25 "By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter; choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;"

d. Not being ashamed of the gospel will cause us to
partake of affliction.

1). 2 Timothy 1:8 "Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;"

e. Our affliction is light and short compared to the eternal glory.

1). 2 Corinthians 4:17 "For our light affliction,
which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far
more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;"

2). Romans 8:18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us."

1 Peter 5:10

But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered awhile, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.

1."But the God of all grace"

a. As we grow in Christ we will need grace
because we will still sin as we mature.

1). Hebrews 4:14-16 "Seeing then that we have
a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the son of God, let us hold fast our profession .
For we have not an high priest which cannot be
touched with the feeling our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of
grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need."

b. We need to remain humble.

1). 1 Peter 5:5 "and be clothed with humility:
For God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble."

2. "who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus"

a. Our calling in life is to be conformed to the image of Jesus.


1). Romans 8:28, 29 "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren."

b. It is our reasonable service, our spiritual duty.

1). Romans 12:1, 2 "I beseech ye therefor brethren by the mercies of God that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God."

c. It is our ministry.

1). 2 Corinthians 3:18-4:1 "But we all with open face behold as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.
Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not;"

3. "after ye have suffered awhile, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you."

a. perfect [2675 * katarlizo] [Zodhiates: The
fundamental meaning is to put a thing in its
appropriate condition, to establish, set up, equip,
arrange, prepare.]


b. stablish [4741 * sterizo] [Zodhiates: To set fast,
fix firmly.] [Thayer: make stable, place firmly, set
fast, fix; to strengthen, make firm.]

c. strengthen [4599 * sthenoo] [Zodhiates: To
strengthen.]

d. settle [2311 * themlioo] [Zodhiates: To found,
to lay a foundation for anything.]

1). Matthew 7:24, 25 "Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock."

My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print