Rest and refreshing
by Don Costello

Isaiah 28:11, 12

Isaiah 28:11, 12 "For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear."

a. rest (4496 * menuchah) Strongs: repose, peacefully, consolation, an abodecomfortable, ease, quiet, resting place. Gesenius: a condition of rest, a place of rest, hence a habitation.

b. rest (second) (5117 * nuwach) Strongs: to rest, to settle down-to dwell, let alone, withdraw, give comfort, (cause to, be at,) rest. Gesenius: to set oneself down, to rest, to be at rest, from labor.

c. weary (5889 * ayeph) Strongs: faint, thirsty, weary. Gesenius: one who is wearied out, either with a journey or with toil, and at the same time suffers from thirst.

d. refreshing (4774 * margeah) rest, refreshing.

1. The prophet says in these verses that with a stammering lip and another tongue the LORD would speak to his people and that it would not only be a rest, it would cause the weary to rest and it would be a refreshing. Those are facts.

2. These verses are also quoted by the Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 14:21: "In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord."

a. Is Paul saying that the Body of Christ as a whole would reject this gift? I believe he is.

3. I want to merge what Isaiah says with what Paul writes about the benefits of praying in tongues.

a. 1 Corinthians 14:4 "He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself;"

1). edifieth (3618 * oikodomeo) To build, construct, erect.

b. Jude 20 "But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost."

1). Building (2026 * epoikodomeo) To build upon, to erect a super structure.

c. The Greek words for "edifieth" and "building" are the same Greek word oikodomeo; except in the word for "building" it has the prefix epi-upon.

d. As I pray in tongues I am building an abode where I can enter into a receive rest and refreshing.

My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print