What is God like?
by Adam Bennett

Perhaps because the Bible says, "God is love" (1 John 4:16) some people think of him as a jolly old gray-haired fellow lounging on a heavenly cloud thinking about how it's nice to be nice, and especially to be nice to me.

The main thought of others is that, "It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God." (Hebrews 10:31 NASB) Still others think God is a universal force who is powerful but disinterested.

I like Psalm 62:11 which says, "power belongs to God; And lovingkindness is Yours, O Lord." (NASB) It reminds me that God's attributes of power, wrath and love are not irreconcilable.

The cross is the intersection of God's wrath and his mercy and the gospel is God's power expressed for the purpose of his love. Paul wrote, "to those called by God to salvation, both Jews and Gentiles, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God." (1 Corinthians 1:24 NLT)

Jesus was not a helpless victim of a human conspiracy. He made it clear that he was following God's agenda to express his love to humanity. He said of his life, "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again." (John 10:18 NIV)

Or consider that when the rabble came to arrest him he said, "Do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father, and he will at once send me more than twelve legions of angels? But how then should the Scriptures be fulfilled, that it must be so?" (Matthew 26:53-54 ESV)

It's refreshing to be reminded that God is both almighty and personal and that he has the power to effect the loving decisions he has made.

Copyright Adam Bennett 2009.  More articles are available at http://godward-thoughts.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print