Haggai 2:7
by Don Costello

And I will shake all nations and the desire of all nations shall come: and I will fill this house with glory, saith the LORD of hosts.

a. NASV: "And I will shake all the nations; and they will come with the wealth of all nations; and I will fill this house with glory, says the Lord of hosts."

b. NIV: "and the desired of all nations will come,"

c. AMP: "and the desire and the precious things of all nations shall come in,"

d. There is a note in the Amplified Bible about the word "desire". I have heard that this verse was referring to Christ. In light of that, the note is interesting to say the least.

1). "It is with great reluctance that we refrain from capitalizing the word "desire" here and making the phrase point directly to the Messiah, as has been the accepted interpretation through many centuries until modern times. But the verb "shall come" is plural, and as many commentators agree, refers to the most desired treasures that all nations will bring as gifts to adorn the temple to which the Messiah will one day have come."

2). The verses that back up this position will be listed in the next section.

1. "and I will fill this house with glory, saith the LORD of hosts."

a. It is clear from the context that "the glory" the LORD is referring to is material wealth, the outwqrd adornment of the temple.
1). Haggai 2:3 "Who is left among you that saw this house in her first glory? And how do ye see it now? Is it not in your eyes in comparison of it as nothing?"

b. In the eyes of some, the comparison of the two temples caused them to weep.

1). Ezra 3:12, 13 "But many of the priests and Levites and chief of the fathers, who were ancient men, that had seen the first house, when the foundation of this house was laid before their eyes, wept with a loud voice; and many shouted aloud for joy. So that the people could not discern the noise of the shout of joy from the noise of the weeping of the people: for the people shouted with a loud shout, and the noise was heard afar off."

2. This passage is one of more than a few that are used to teach that a great transfer of wealth will occur at the end of the age. The two big questions are to whom will the wealth be given and when. In all of the following verses the context is clearly during the Millennial reign of Christ or during the Perfect Age after the Millennial reign.

a. Zechariah 14:14 "And Judah also shall fight at Jerusalem; and the wealth of all the heathen round about shall be gathered together, gold, and silver, and apparel, in great abundance."

b. Isaiah 60:9-11 "Surely the isles shall wait for me, and the ships of Tarshish first, to bring thy sons from far, their silver and their gold with them, unto the name of the LORD thy God, and to the Holy One of Israel, because he hath glorified thee. And the sons of strangers shall build up thy walls, and their kings shall minister unto thee: for in my wrath I smote thee, but in my favor have I had mercy on thee. Therefore thy gates shall be open continually; they shall not be shut day nor night; that men may bring unto thee the forces of the Gentiles, and that kings may be brought."

1). Cp. Psalm 68:29-32; Psalm 72:9-11;

2). See also possible link to New Jerusalem in Revelation 21:23-26.

3). To read the Church age into these passages is ridiculous.

c. Isaiah 61:4-6 "And they shall build the old wates, they shall raise up the former desolations, and they shall repair the waste cities, the desolations of many generations. And strangers shall stand and feed your flocks, and the sons of the alien shall be your plowmen and your vinedressers. But ye shall be named the Priests of the LORD: men shall call you the Ministers of our God: ye shall eat the riches of the Gentiles, and in their glory shall ye boast yourselves."


My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print