The Book of Jude:1
by Don Costello

Jude 1

JUDE, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called:

1. "JUDE, the servant of Jesus Christ,"

a. There were two Jude's mentioned as Apostles in Luke 6:16. One of course was Judas the traitor, the other Jude could not be the author of this epistle because he refers to himself as "the servant" of Jesus Christ. He does not call himself an Apostle, as Paul and Peter do in their epistles, (2 Corinthians 1:1; 1 Peter 1:1). He distinguishes himself from the Apostles in verses 17 & 18, "the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ; How that they told you"

2. "and brother of James,"

a. Jude, not mentioning his natural relationship to Jesus might have been because he felt it was inferior to the spiritual. Blood is thicker than water, but spirit is thicker than blood.

1). Mark 3:31-35 "There came then his brethren and his mother, and standing without, sent unto him, calling him. And the multitude sat about him, and they said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren without seek for thee. And he answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren? And he looked round on them which sat about him, and said, Behold, my mother and my brethren! For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother."

2). Matthew 10:37 "He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me."

b. Jesus had four half brothers and at least two half sisters.


1). Matthew 13:55, 56 "Is not this the carpenter's
Son? Is not his mother called Mary? And his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas? And his sisters, are they not all with us?..."

2). Dake feels that because of the use of the word "all" instead of the word both in describing the sisters, that there must be more than two.

c. In the years of his ministry, the brothers of Jesus did not believe in him.

1). John 7:2-4 "Now the Jews' feast of tabernacles was at hand. His brethren therefore said unto him, Depart hence, and go into Judea, that thy disciples also may see the works that thou doest. For there is no man that doeth any thing in secret, and he himself seeketh to be known openly. If thou do these things, shew thyself to the world. For neither did his brethren believe in him."

d. After his resurrection though, his mother and his brothers were his disciples.

1). Acts 1:14 "These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren."

2). Two of his brothers were leaders in the Jerusalem church, James, of course, the writer of the epistle of James and Jude, the writer of the epistle of Jude.

e. While he was in the beginning of his ministry though, his family thought he was nuts. There was one point after he had ordained the twelve apostles, and they had gone into a home, and it was packed with people that his family when they heard what he was doing tried to get him for they thought he was crazy.

1). Mark 3:21 "And when his friends heard of it, they went to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself."

2) friends (Zodhiates) (3844 * para) Figuratively, of persons, particularly of those close to someone, meaning his kindred, relatives.

3. "to them that are sanctified by God the Father,"

a. sanctified (37 * hagiazo) There are two different kinds of sanctification, the first is a positional standing that occurs by faith in Jesus.

1).1 Corinthians 1:30 "But of him are ye Christ Jesus, who is made unto us wisdom and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:"

2). VINE: Since every believer is sanctified in Christ Jesus, a common N.T. designation of all believers is "saints"Thus sainthood, or sanctification, is not an attainment, it is the state into which God in grace, calls sinful men, and in which they begin their course as Christians"

b. The second is a practical kind that we walk out in our relationship with him by obedience to his word.

1). 1Thessalonians 4:3, 4 "For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication: that every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;"

2). VINE: Sanctification is also used in the N.T. of the separation of the believer from evil things and ways. This sanctification is God's will for the believer; it must be learned from God, as he teaches it by His Word, and it must be pursued by the believer, earnestly, and is the result of obedience to the Word of God." Cp. John 17:17.

4. "and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called:"

a. preserved (Zodhiates)(5083 * tereo) To keep an eye on, watch, and hence to guard, keep

Jude 2

Mercy unto you, and peace, and love, be multiplied.

1. "Mercy unto you,"

a. We are saved by his mercy.

1). Titus 3:5, 6 "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;"

b. It is God's will that every person partakes of his mercy.

1). NASB 1 Timothy 2:4 "Who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth."

2. "and peace,"

a. Thirteen Pauline epistles start out with God's desire for us to have peace: Romans 1:7; 1 Corinthians 1:3; 2 Corinthians 1:2; Galatians 1:3; Ephesians 1:2; Philippians 1:2; Colossians 1:2; 1 Thessalonians 1:2; 2 Thessalonians 1:2; 1 Timothy 1:2; 2 Timothy 1:2; Titus 1:4; Philemon 3.

b. God wants us to have peace, but that peace comes out of a close relationship with Jesus.

1). Philippians 4:6, 7 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

3. "and love, be multiplied."

a. God demonstrated to all how much he loved the world by sending Jesus to die for our sins.

1). John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print