Exodus 32:25-29
by Don Costello

Exodus 32:25-29

Exodus 32:25-29 "And when Moses saw that the people were naked; (for Aaron had made them naked unto their shame among their enemies:)
Then Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and Said, Who is on the LORD'S side? Let him come unto me. And all the sons of Levi gathered themselves together unto him.
God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his
And he said unto them, Thus saith the LORD
Side, and go in and out from gate to gate
Throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbor.
And the children of Levi did according to the
Word of Moses: and there fell of the people that day about three thousand men.
For Moses had said, Consecrate yourselves to day to the LORD, even every man upon his son, and upon his brother; that he may bestow upon you a blessing this day."

a. It appears from verse 29 that Moses was saying to the Levites, that as they were slaying their sons and brothers that they were consecrating them selves to the Lord. The Amplified Bible translation definitely says it exactly that way.

1). Amplified Bible: Exodus 32:29"And Moses said [to the Levites, By your obedience to God's command] you have consecrated yourselves today as priests to the LORD, each man [at the cost of being] against His own brother, that the LORD may restore and bestow His blessing upon you this day."

2). Exodus 32:29 [NRSV] "Moses said, Today you have ordained yourselves for the service of the LORD, each one at the cost of a son or a brother, and so have brought blessing on yourselves this day."

b. Now don't think for a minute that I am advocating killing relatives that are not Christians, God forbid! I am saying nothing of the kind. What I am saying is that one of the principal components of a relationship with God is God has to come first. This is clearly laid out in the Scriptures.

1). Matthew 10:37 "He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or doughter more than me is not worthy or me."

c. In fact, within the context of the verse in Matthew Jesus says that sometimes, a true relationship with God will cause division within and between family members.

1). Matthew 10:34-40 "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy or me.
And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.
He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.
He that receiveth you receiveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me."

d. It happened to Jeremiah

1). Jeremiah 12:6 "For even thy brethren, and the house of thy father, even have dealt treacherously with thee; yea, they have called a multitude after thee: believe them not, though they speak fair words unto thee."

e. The prophet Micah warned of it.

1). Micah 7:5-7 "Trust ye not in a friend, put ye not confidence in a guide: keep the doors of thy mouth from her that lieth in thy bosom.
For the son dishonoureth the father, the daughter riseth up against her mother, the daughter in law against her mother in law; a man's enemies are the men of his own house.
Therefore I will look unto the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation: my God will hear me."

a). In Matthew 10:36 Jesus was quoting this passage.

f. But another nugget of truth within the passage of Exodus is that when we are obeying the word of God, as we obey we are consecrating ourselves to Him. This principle is repeated elsewhere in Scripture.

1). Romans 6:16 "Know ye not, that to whom ye yield youselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness."

2). John 14:15 "If ye love me, keep my commandments."

g. We have all heard the proverb, "Blood is thicker than water." We also know that it is referring to the fact, relationships within family are closer than mere friendships. Well, spirit is thicker than blood.

My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print