Jude:Pt. 5
by Don Costello

Jude 9

Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

a. Ampliphied Bible: "But when even the archangel Michael, contending with the devil, judicially argued (disputed) about the body of Moses, he dared not presumed to bring an abusive condemnation against him, but simply said, The Lord rebuke you!"

b. Jude is bringing out in greater detail the characteristic of rejection of authority that he mentioned in verse 8, that will be a characteristic of the false teachers of his day and in the future.

1). 2 Peter 2:11 "Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord."

c. Jude is supposedly quoting from a book called the Assumption of Moses.

d. The King James Defended, Dr. Edward F. Hills Th.D. pp98, 99, The Pseudepigrapha: [soo-da-pig-gra-fa] These are other non-canonical books which were held in high esteem by many early Christians but which, unlike the Apocrypha, were never included in the manuscripts of the Greek Septuagint or of the Latin Vulgate. Because of this circumstance the texts of many of these Pseudepigrapha were lost during the middle-ages and have been found again in only comparatively recent times. They are called Pseudepigrapha because most of them falsely claim to have been written by various Old Testament patriarchs. Actually, however, they were composed between 200 B.C. and 100 A.D., mostly by Jewish authors but in some cases perhaps by Christians. Jude 9 is a verse which is often attributed to the PseudepigraphaAccording to Origen and Didymus of Alexandria, Jude is here quoting from a non-canonical book called 'The Assumption of Moses'. This book was lost for many centuries until in 1861 Ceriani published about a third of it from a manuscript in the Ambrosian Library at Milan. This manuscript comes to an end, however, before reaching the account of the death of Moses, and so there is no way of verifying the statement of Origen and Didymus concerning Jude's use of this book. But even if the manuscript were complete and did contain the desired incident, it would still be preferable to suppose that Jude was quoting not 'The Assumption of Moses', but a common source, probably an ancient oral tradition, For a similar instance is related by the prophet Zechariah (Zechariah 3:1-3), and this indicates that encounters such as these between the good and evil angels were not fabulous but actual events".


Jude 10

But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves.

1. "But these speak evil of those things which they know not:"

a. speak evil [987 * blasphemeo] [Zodhiates: To blaspheme, revile. To hurt the reputation or smite with reports or words, speak evil of, slander, rail.]

b. know [3608 * oida] [Vines?: To have seen or perceived as in Divine knowledge, to know from observation, it suggest fullness of knowledge.] [Zodhiates: generally meaning to know intuitively or instinctively.]

c. NOTE: I'm guessing it was Vines that gave oida/3608 as the word for "know" in Jude 10. Tyndale's The Word Study New Testament, gives eido/1492

d. 2 Peter 2:12 "thesespeak evil of the things that they understand not;"

1). understand not [50 * agnoeo] [Zodhiates: To be ignorant of, unacquainted with.]

2. "but what they know naturally, as brute beasts,

a. naturally [5447 * phusikos] [Zodhiates: Naturally, by instinct].

1). 1 Corinthians 2:14 "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."


2). 1 Corinthians 1:18-21 "For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish, foolishness; but unto us which are saved, it is the power of God.
For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? Hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe."

* wise [4680 * sophos] [Zodhiates: "In Cllasical Greek it not only described respected philosophers and other truly learned men but was also appropriated by vain quibblers and rhetoriticians"


* scribe [1122 * grammateus] [Zodhiates: A scribe or writer].

* disputer [4804 * suzetetes] [Zodhiates: A debater, reasoner, disputant, a sophist.

b. brute [249 * alogos; a-without; logos-reason] [Zodhiates: Unendowed with reason, irrational, brute unreasonable, absurd.]

1). Could this be a word play? Logos is the word used in John 1:1 to describe the preexistent Christ. Perhaps the use of alogos is another witness to these being not saved? Without Christ?

c. beasts [2226 * zoon] [Zodhiates: A living creature, an animal.

3. "in those things they corrupt themselves.

a. Because Jude 10 and 2 Peter 2:12 are closely linked to the homosexual element in Jude 7 & 8 and 2 Peter 2:6-9, the corruption that Jude 10 is referring to is that of Hosea 9:9. In that passage [which is referring to the incident of Judges 19], the corruption of the inhabitants of Gibeah was demonstrated in their protection of a group of homosexuals that in fact ignited a civil war in Israel. It is no wonder then that the apostate side of Christianity wants to abolish all stigmas that have been applied to same sex lust and behavior.

My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print