Freda's Foibles - FUMCH
by Freda Douglas

Everybody has their favorite charity. I am no exception. Long before my husband died we became enamored by the work that was done for and behalf of children by The Florida United Methodist Children's Home, 51 Main Street, Enterprise, FL. 32725.

Since they are celebrating their 100th year I thought it only fitting that I tell you something about the Home, and maybe one or more of my readers would pick the FUMCH as their charity. It will be money well spent.

C.S. Lewis says "Charity is an essential part of morality. There ought to be things we should like to do and can not do because our charitable expenditures exclude them."

The motto of FUMCH, hereafter referred to as the Home, is Where Children Come First.

Following is some nuggets of information I find interesting.

The Children's Home began in 1908 with the purchase of one building, eight town lots and a tract of forty acres of land purchased from Miss Emma Tucker for $1,250.

"Here we propose, by the help of God and the cooperation of all good people, to found a noble Christian institution for the relief, education and training of destitute, fatherless and motherless children, who may look to us for help." 1908 Florida Conference Journal

1998 saw extensive additions and renovations to the campus of the Children's Home. Waller-Jeter Cottage was built, the Bruton Counseling Center was constructed and Brinkley Hall, originally built in 1927, received a complete renovation and became the administration offices and welcome center.

!n 1932, so many octagon soap coupons were collected by the conference churches the Home was able to buy a $700 truck, $400 kitchen range and $250 band uniforms.

I could write on and on about the Home, because I have been there often over the years, but I have told you enough, I believe, to whet your appetite for a worthy cause. The Home welcomes interested persons, but before you make the trip a phone call to 386-668-4774 would be advisable.

Your religious preferences make no never mind to the staff nor does it to the residents. All Christians are welcome.'

********************************************
I don't get out very much, but I understand the post offices have taken down any signs denoting the Bible. My caregiver made small labels that say 'in God we Trust' and puts it on all outgoing postal mail and I changed my email signature to start with 'In God We Trust'. Maybe if we Christians stand together WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
******************************************
Remember, God loves you and so do I and we trust in God.
******************************************
Buy Winds of Change by Freda Douglas at
www.booklocker.com/books/3303.html

The finest and best training for NWM can be found at
www.ultimatesuccesscds.com/cmd.asp?af=788629
********************************************

Freda Douglas is a published author. Her first book "Cherish the Past", still available on Amazon.com, was published in 2004. Her second book "Winds of Change" 
is now available at your local book store   by using this ISBN # 978-1-60145-367-9    

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print