Jude:Pt. 8
by Don Costello

Jude 14

And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,

1. "And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam,"

a.Adam, Seth, Enos, Cainan, Mahalaleel, Jared, Enoch, Genesis 5:3-19.

2. "prophesied of these, saying"

a. prophesied [4395 * propheteuo] [Bullinger: To hold the office of a prophet; to do the work of a prophet, i.e., to speak forth, in declaration, warning, or exhortation, as directed by the Spirit of God.]

b. Verse 14 has been contended to be a quotation from a non-canonical book called the Book of Enoch.

c. Because the controversy surrounding verses 14 & 15 is similar to that which surrounds verse 9, I will quote again from Dr. E. F. Hills work, The King James Version Defended, p 99. "One of the best known of the Pseudepigrapha is the Book of Enoch, and Ethiopic version of which was discovered in Abyssinia by James Bruce9c. 1770). This book is of special interest because Jude is commonly thought to have quoted it in his Epistle. AND ENOCH ALSO, THE SEVENTH FROM ADAM, PROPHESIED OF THESE, SAYING, BEHOLD, THE LORD COMETH WITH TEN THOUSANDS OF HIS SAINTS TO EXECUTE JUDGMENT UPON ALL, AND TO CONVINCE ALL THAT ARE UNGODLY AMONG THEM OF ALL THEIR UNGODLY DEEDS WHICH THEY HAVE UNGODLY COMMITTED. AND OF ALL THEIR HARD SPEECHES WHICH UNGODLY SINNERS HAVE SPOKEN AGAINST HIM. (Jude 14, 15; Enoch 1:9) Among early Christians there were three reactions to this seeming quotation of The Book of Enoch on the part of Jude. First, there were those like Tertullian, who accepted both the Epistle of Jude and the Book of Enoch as canonical. Second, there were those (mentioned by Jerome) who rejected both the Epistle of Jude and the Book of Enoch. Third, there were those like Origen and Augustine, who accepted the Epistle of Jude as canonical but rejected the Book of Enoch. This third position was adopted by the Church ar large and is undoubtedly the true one. For it is not certain that Jude actually did quote from the Book of Enoch. He may have been quoting a common source, a traditional saying handed down from remote antiquity."

1). I personally believe that Jude was quoting an oral tradition similar to Paul quoting two himself, in 1 Corinthians 10:4 and 2 Timothy 3:8


d. David Stern, Jewish New Testament Commentary: "Jude quoting from a non-canonical book does not make 1 Enoch inspired scripture, nor does it disqualify Jude's letter. Paul quoted pagan authors in Acts 17:28, 29 and Titus 1:12, and no one supposes that their works should be included in Holy Writ or Paul's excluded.

3. "Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints"

a. That this is pointing to the second advent confirms that the time sequence seemingly goes back and forth from Jude's day to the days immediately before the second coming of Christ.

b. 2 Thessalonians 1:7, 8 "And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:"

c. Revelation 1:7 "Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

d. See also Revelation 19:11-16.

Jude 15

To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

1. "To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed"

a. execute [4160 * poieo] [Zodhiates: To make, do, expressing action either as completed or continuedIn Jude 15, to do judgment, to act as judge.]

b. convince [1827 * exelegcho] [Zodhiates: To convict thoroughly, to show to be wholly wrong, to rebuke sternly.]

c. ungodly [765 * asebes] 1st & 4th 'ungodly' of Jude 15. [Zodhiates: Basically it means godless, without fear and reverence of God. It does not mean irreligious, but one who actively practices the opposite of what the fear of God demands. Asebes is one characterized by immoral and impious behavior.]

d. ungodly [763 * asebeia] 2nd 'ungodly' [Zodhiates: Impiety toward God, ungodliness, lack of reverence; wickedness in general, neglect or violation of duty toward God.]

e. ungodly [764 * asebeo] 3rd 'ungodly' [Zodhiates: To act impiously, to sin against anything which should be considered sacred.]

2. "and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

a. hard [4642 * skleros] [Zodhiates: hard, harsh, offensive, grievous.]

1). The context is still false teachers who turn "the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ."

2). These people are ungodly, the deeds thy do are ungodly, and the messages they preach are ungodly.

3). I personally believe the characteristics that Jude is speaking of are general, i.e., not all the preachers will be homosexual, just some. Not all will deny the deity of Christ, just some. Not all will deny the blood atonement, just some, but all will be guilty of one or more of these sins.

b. Psalm 31:18 NASB "Let the lying lips be dumb, which speak arrogantly against the righteous with pride and contempt."

1). The following is a quote from a retired Episcopal priest, John Shelby Spong. They are ungodly arrogant words spoken from lying lips against God and His people. It is a good example of "hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him." "What we need is maturity in religion not childlike dependency. We don't need to be "born again," we need to grow up! But religion encourages childishness by proclaiming there is a super parent in the sky ready and willing to take care of us. So we seek to please this God with proper worship and proper living. We flatter the God in worship (listen to the words of our hymns: 'How great thou art!' for example). Because we learned as children that flattery works with authority figures, we assume that it will also work on the ultimate authority figure!"



Jude 16

These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage.

a. NASB "These are grumblers, finding fault, following after their own lusts; they speak arrogantly, flattering people for the sake of gaing an advantage."

1. "These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts;"

a. murmurers [1113 * goggustes] [Vines or Bullinger: One who complains, perhaps of utterances against God]

b. complainer [3202 * mempsimoiros] [Zodhiates: A discontented, complaining person, one who finds fault with his lot.]

1). These: Jude 15 "their hard speeches, which ungodly sinners have spoken against him."

2). These: Jude 4 "ungodly mendenying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ."

c. These ungodly ministers live and teach a Christ denying, flesh indulging gospel.

1). The religious of that day will seek out and sit under these false teachers, 2 Timothy 4:2-4.

2. "and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage."

a. Ampliphied Bible: "their talk is boastful and arrogant, and they claim to admire men's persons and pay people flattering compliments to gain advantage.


b. 2 Peter 2:18, 19 "For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error.
While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption"

c. Jude writes that the goal of the boastful language is to gain the advantage of people. Peter writes that the goal of the great swelling words is to allure them through the lusts of the flesh.

My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print