Jude:Pt. 10
by Don Costello

Jude 20

But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

1). "But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith,"

a. building [2026 * epoikodomeo; epi-upon; oikodomeo-to build] [Zodhiates: To build upon, to erect a super structure.]

b. Epoikodomeo is a derivative of the Greek word oikodomeo which is used for the word "edifieth" in 1 Corinthians 14:4. "He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself."

c. Kenneth Hagin, Why Tongues, "In writing to the church at Corinth, Paul encouraged them to continue that practice of speaking with other tongues in their worship of God and in their prayer lives as a means of spiritual edification. Greek language scholars tell us that we have a word in our modern vernacular which is closer to the meaning of the original than the word "edified". That word is "charge" as used in connection with charging a battery. Therefore we could paraphrase this verse, "He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifies, charges, builds himself up like a battery.Praying in tongues stimulates faith and helps us learn to trust God more fully."

2. "praying in the Holy Ghost,"

a. 1 Corinthians 14:21 is a quotation by the Apostle Paul of a passage in Isaiah 28:11, 12 that Paul writes was a prophetic reference to speaking in tongues.

b. Isaiah 28:11, 12 "For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.
To whom he said, this is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear."

1). rest [1st ] [4496 * menuwehah] [Strongs: repose or peacefullyan abode, comfortable, ease, quiet, rest.]

2). weary [5889 * ayeph] [Strongs: lanquid, faint, thirsty].

3). rest [2nd] [5117 * nuwach] [Strongs:to rest, i.e., settle down.] [Gesenius: to cause to rest.]

4). refreshing [4774 * marqeah] [Strongs: rest, refreshing.] [Gesenius: a tranquil habitation.]

c. Isaiah 28:11, 12 is clear, the way to achieve that comfortable, peaceful quiet abode, that tranquil habitation of peace is praying in tongues.
Jude 21

Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

1. "Keep yourselves in the love of God"

a. keep [5083 * tereo] [Zodhiates: To keep an eye on, watch, and hence to guard, keep, obey.]

1). Proverbs 4:23 "Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.

2). The word "keep" in Proverbs is shamar, and it means to guard, to protect.

b. The context of Jude is the last days, of which Jesus said in Matthew 24:12, "And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold." There will be many opportunities to not walk in love.

1). Hebrews 10:24 "And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works."

2. "looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life."

a. looking [4327 * prosdechomai] [Zodhiates: To receive or take, admit as a hope, expect, look for.]

1). The same word is used in Titus 2:13 where he is speaking of the rapture of the church.
Jude 22, 23

And of some have compassion, making a difference: And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

a. In these two verses the KJV is not clear at all. Because of that three other versions will be cited. What needs to be remembered is the other translations use different Greek manuscripts for their text, which is why they are different. In this particular instance, they make the text clearer.

1. ASV "And on some have mercy, who are in doubt;"

a. 1 Thessalonians 5:14 "Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient unto all men."

2. NASB " Save others, snatching them out of the fire"

a. Amos 4:11 "I have overthrown some of you, as God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah, and ye were as a firebrand plucked out of the burning: yet have ye not returned unto me, saith the LORD."

b. Zechariah 3:1, 2 "And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.
And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?"

3. Amplified Bible "on others take pity but with fear, loathing even the garment spotted by the flesh and polluted by their sensuality."

a. spotted [4696 * spiloo] [spiloo is a synonym of moluno/defile in Revelation 3:4].0

b. Leviticus, A study guide Commentary, Louis Goldberg, commenting on Leviticus 13:47-59. "The Israelite was to carefully watch his clothingIt didn't matter whether the clothes were inexpensive or expensive; if any clothing showed signs of fungus, rot, etc., it was to be brought to the priests for examination. Ample opportunity was given to save the clothing through time and washings, but if the garment remained infested, it had to be cosigned to the fireThere is certainly a New Testament moral and spiritual application at this point. Jude warns that our garments are to be kept clean. Because of the Mosaic injunction one did not dare wear contaminated clothing for fear of contracting a skin disorder. The Jude passage, and others such as Revelation 3:4 suggests a deeper meaning; the garment can be a symbol of whatever there is about ourselves that, through the various way in which we have opportunity of contact with the world around us, contributes to the moral destruction of wicked men. And as believers we are warned that our clothes (that is our very contact) can be spotted and marked by the world around us."


Jude 24

Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

1. "Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling"

a. able [1410 * dunamai] [Zodhiates: To be able, have power.]

b. from falling [679 * aptaistos; a-without; ptaio-falling].

c. We do not have to sin.

1). 1 Corinthians 10:13 "There has no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above what you are able; but with the temptation also make way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."

2. "and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,"

a. faultless [299 * amomos; a-without; momos-blemish, spot] [Zodhiates: Spotless, with blemish.]

b. Jesus will present the church to himself without spot or blemish because it is now being washed with the word of God, Ephesians 5:26, 27.

c. This joy is not our joy. It is the Lord's joy, i.e., the joy he will experience when he presents the church to himself in heaven. This joy was one of the factors that enabled him to endure the cross.

1). Hebrews 12:2 "Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God."

2). Joy in heaven, Luke 15:8-10.

Jude 25

To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

1. "To the only wise God our Saviour"

a. Jesus is God and he is our Saviour.

1). Titus 2:13 "Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ."

My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print