MOM, I REMEMBER YOU essay
by Richard L. Provencher

Mom, I Remember You--

Letting us dunk our cookies in our glasses of milk at the kitchen table, even though we made a mess spilling milk and dropping cookie crumbs.

Laughing as you watched us take apart our Oreo cookies, then slowly licking each side making sure we collected all the inside sweetness.

Letting us help bake cookies, especially peanut butter ones and not being upset when I used to eat a clump of the batter, which was so tasty.

Giving us the fish eye whenever we jostled each other's elbows on the table, after you had marked an imaginary boundary line with your finger.

Bringing home Chinese Food from Dick Woo's, eating and laughing with us even though you were tired after just finishing your waitress duties.

Shaking your head when our plastic toys melted on the hallway grill, where underneath, our furnace got hotter and hotter with the coal fire.

Running from a spider after you chased it down the hallway, and your five children teasing with delight not realizing your screams were truly real.

Chasing down the hallway looking for me after you were startled from the two live pike I placed in the filled bathtub after my fishing trip to scare you.

Smiling broadly after I placed around six or seven neighborhood alley cats in our basement to chase mice, after we got that load of mine fire wood.

Saying "Run!" after lighting our new oil stove, hoping it wouldn't explode, because you weren't sure if you understood all the confusing instructions.

Being very upset when you found out our gerbil, which had been missing for several days, made a comfortable nest in the collar of your fur coat.

Making all those yummy sandwiches for eating on our picnic at Moose Bay Beach and not being too angry when my dog Prince ate them all.

Sitting in the living room, munching popcorn, with dad and five children, quiet as mice while listening to our favorite radio program, Boston Blackie.

Cuddling on the couch with all of us, watching TV for the first time in our apartment (I was 13 in 1955) finally thinking we were rich like our friends.

Sprinkling Holy Water in each of our apartment rooms during a terrible thunderstorm, knowing God would protect us during this very scary time.

Mom, THE ABOVE ARE ALL GOOD MEMORIES of when we were young children, now all grown up and living across Canada. Dennis lives in Vancouver, Bonita near Pembroke, Suzanne in Toronto, Patricia in Hamilton and myself in Truro, Nova Scotia.

MOM, WE LOVE YOU AND GIVE YOU MANY HUGS AND KISSES.

Richard L. Provencher 2008

NOTE:
This short memorial of remembrance is in honor of our mother, Mildred Provencher. She, like many other precious persons, live with the ravages of Alzheimer's marching through her system, and even though mom remembers little of the above good times, her children will not forget.

Richard enjoys writing poems; many of which have been published in Print and Online. He and his wife, Esther are also co-authors of stories and a print novel. They are "born again" Christians and very busy in their church, Abundant Life Victory International, in Bible Hill, Nova Scotia.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print