Hebrews 2:1
by Don Costello

Hebrews 2:1

Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard lest at any time we should let them slip.

1. "Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard"

a. ought (1163 * dei) Needs, is necessary, has need ofthat which must be done from a sense of duty. Spoken of what is right and proper in itself or prescribed by law, duty, custom. It is right or proper, one must, it ought. (must, I Timothy 3:12).

b. more (4056 * perissateros) Exceedingly, much more, more frequent, more superabundantly.

c. heed (4337 * prosecho) To have in addition, to hold the mind or the ear toward someone, to pay attention. As a nautical term, it means to hold a ship in a direction, to sail towards.

d. Bullinger: "more abundantly to be holding fast to".

e. This is the attitude that Paul says we must have toward the word of God. Hold fast to God's word, He is dependable. Praise God! I am reminded of other verses that shout the same.

1). Romans 3:4 "yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged."

2). Numbers 23:19 "God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not dot do it? or hath he spoken, and shall not he make it good?"

3). Isaiah 8:20 "To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them."

2. "lest at any time we should let them slip."

a. slip (3901 * pararreo) To float by or drift past as a ship, or to flow past as a river. Figuratively, to slip away, suggesting a gradual and almost unnoticed movement past a certain pointto swerve or deviate from something, such as the truth, law, precepts. (Sept. Proverbs 3:21; "depart").

b. NIV, "so that we do not drift away."

c. Arthur Pink: Exposition on Hebrews; "There is a difficulty here in making quite sure the Spirit's precise meaning. The expression, "we should let slip" is one Greek word and it occurs nowhere else in the New Testament. The absence of the pronoun seems to be designed for allowing a double thought: lest we "let slip the things we have heard, and, or, lest we ourselves slip away- apostatize."

3. Echoing again the previous thought of our attitude toward the word of God, I see in another verse the fruit of "giving the more earnest heed" to it.

a. 1 Samuel 3:19, 20 "And Samuel grew, and the LORD was with him, and did not let none of his words fall to the ground. And all Israel from Dan even to Beersheba knew that Samuel was established to be a prophet of the LORD.

1). Spiritual growth is a definite result of "giving the more earnest heed".

2). 1 Timothy 4:15 "Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all."

My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print