2 Timothy 4:16, 17
by Don Costello

2 Timothy 4:16

At my first answer no man stood with me, but all forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge.

1."At my first answer no man stood with me"

a. stood with [4836 * sumparaginomai; sun-together, with; paraginomai-to come, arrive, be present] [Zodhiates: to stand by someone as a friend and advocate.] [D.C. Note: This word is used only one other time in the N.T., Luke 23:48].

b. answer [427 * apologia] [Zodhiates: to give an answer or speech in defense of oneself. A plea, defense before a tribunal.

c. This of course is speaking of Paul when he went before Nero after he was brought to Rome. He was defending himself before the Roman court of law.

2. "but all forsook me"

a. forsook [1459 * egkataleipo] [Zddhiates: to forsake, desert. To leave behind in any place or state. By, implication, to leave behind in the lurch, forsake, desert, abandon.]

2 Timothy 4:17

Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion.

a. [NASB] "But the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me, in order that through me the proclamation might be fully accomplished, and that all the Gentiles might hear; and I was delivered out of the lion's mouth."

b. [Amplified Bible] "But the Lord stood by me and strengthened me, so that through me the (Gospel) message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was delivered out of the jaws of the lion."

c. [NRSV] "But the Lord stood by me and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was rescued from the lion's mouth."

1."Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me"

a. stood with [3936 * paristano & paristemi; para-near; histemi-to place, stand.] [Zodhiates: to cause to stand near or before, generally with the idea of to be present.] [D.C. Note: Zodhiates says in 2 Timothy 4:17 it is figuratively. I disagree.]

b. Acts 27:22-24 "And now I exhort you to be of good cheer: for there shall be no loss of any man's life among you, but of the ship.
For there stood by me this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve,
Saying, Fear not, Paul; thou must be brought before Caesar: and, lo, God hath given thee all them that sail with thee.

1). The Greek word used here for "stood", is the same word used in 2 Timothy 4:17.
c. Acts 23:11 "And the night following the Lord stood by him, and said, Be of good cheer, Paul: for as thou hast testified of me in Jerusalem, so must thou bear witness also at Rome."

1). stood by [2186 * ephistemi; epi-by, near, upon; histemi-to stand] [Zodhiates : to place oneself upon or near, to stand upon, by, near.]

c. I personally believe that Jesus appeared to Paul and stood with him during his appearance before Nero. I not only believe he strenghthened him but I believe he also held his hand.

1). Isaiah 41:10-13 "Fear tou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.
Behold, all they that were incensed against thee shall be ashamed and confounded: they shall be as nothing; and they that strive with thee shall perish.
Thou shalt seek them, and shalt not find them, even them that contended with thee: they that war against thee shall be as nothing, and as a thing of nought.
For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee."

2. "that by me the preaching might be fully known, and all the Gentiles might hear"

a. [Amplified Bible] "so that through me the (Gospel) message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it.

b. I personally believe that the Lord told Paul that because of his obedience in receiving and preaching and documenting the transmission of the New Covenant, that through Paul the whole world would hear the Gospel message. Romans, 1 & 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 & 2 Thessalonians, 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon and Hebrews, basically the New Covenant were all written by Paul.

My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print