1 Corinthians 10:4
by Don Costello

1 Corinthians 10:4

And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

1."And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them:"

a. Jewish New Testament Commentary, David H. Stearn, Jewish New Testament publications, Inc. p. 469. "According to the Aggadah [the legendary and midrashic material woven bout the Tanakh], the Children of Israel were accompanied in the desert by a rolling stone that poured forth water." (Avraham Chill, The Minhagim, New York: Sepher-Hermon Press, Inc., 1979, p.322)

b. THE CHUMASH; The Torah, Haftaros and Five Megillos with a Commentary Anthologized from the Rabbinic Writings; The Stone Edition, Ninthth Impression of the Eleventh Edition. [Note on Numbers 20:8]. "The rock. The definite article the indicates that this was a known rock. The Sages teach that God had created a rock that He used often as a source of miraculous waters. This was the rock that the angel revealed to Hagar when her sone Ishmael was dying of thirst (Genesis 21:19), and from which Moses was commanded to draw water nearly forty years earlier (Exodus 17:6). And that same rock accompanied the people throughout their wanderings, as long as Miriam was alive. After her death, it ceased to yield water and was hidden (Ramban)."

c. This is another example where under the direction of the Holy Ghost, Paul included Jewish tradition into the inspired canon of Scripture. Which means the Jewish tradition regarding this incident was inspired.

2. "and that Rock was Christ."

a. There are a few instances where the pre-incarnate Christ is referred to as a rock.
a. Deuteronomy 32:3, 4 "Because I will publish the name of the LORD: ascribe ye greatness unto our God.
He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he."
b. 1 Peter 2:6, 7 "Wherefore also it is contained in Scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.
Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,
And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed."

d. Peter is quoting from the book of Isaiah.

1). Isaiah 28:16 "Therefore thus saith the LORD GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste."

My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print