1 Corinthians 5:7
by Don Costello

1 Corinthians 5:7

Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us:

1."Purge out therefore the old leaven"

a. purge [1571 * ekkathairo; ek-out; kathairo-to
purge.] [Zodhiates: To purge out thoroughly, meaning to cleanse thoroughly.]

b. Leaven in Biblical typology is sin and so also
is defined that way in verse 8. It is our responsibility to get sin out of our lives by the power of God. He will not do it for us, but we can't do it on our own. We can only do it by his strength and grace.

1). 2 Corinthians 7:1 "Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filtiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

2). Hebrews 10:22 "Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water."

3). Psalm 119:9 "Wherewithall shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word."

2. "that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us:"

a. NIV: "Get rid of the old yeast that you may be a new batch without yeast as you really are. For Christ, our Passover Lamb, has been sacrificed."

b. Amplified Bible: "Purge (clean out) the old leaven that you may be fresh (new) dough, still uncontaminated (as ye are), for Christ, our Passover [Lamb], has been sacrificed."

c. Paul was differing between the individual who had sinned with his father's wife and the rest of the congregation who had not. Yet he was warning them that if they failed to get the leaven out of the congregation, the whole congregation would be defiled.

3. "For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us."

a. Hebrew 10:1 "For the law having a shadow of
Good things to come"

b. Colossians 2:16, 17 "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a holyday, or of the new moon, or of the Sabbath days:
Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ."

c. The feasts of the LORD are all types and foreshadows of Christ and the New Covenant.
Jesus was crucified on Passover. The outpouring of the Holy Ghost occurred on the day of Pentecost, or the Feast of First Fruits.


My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print