1 Corinthians 5:11
by Don Costello

1 Corinthians 5:11

But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such a one, no, not to eat."

1."But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother"
a. keep company [4874 * sunanamignumi] [Zodhiates: See above in verse 9.]

b. He then gives a list of six offences that would
Require us to separate ourselves from a brother ore sister in the Lord.

2. "be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such a one, no not to eat."

a. fornicator [4205 * pornos] [Zodhiates: A
Whoremonger or male prostitute. In the NT a fornicator. The word also has the meaning of an impure or unclean person of whatever kind.]

b. covetous [4123 * pleonektes] [Zodhiates: One
who wants more, a person covetous of something that others have, a defrauder for gain.

c. idolater [1496 * eidolotres; eideolon-idol; latris-a servant, worshipper.] [Zodhiates: Idolater, a servant or worshipper of idols.]

d. railer [3060 * loidoros] [Zodhiates: A railer,
a reviler.]

e. drunkard [3183 * methusos] [Zodhiates:
drunkard.]

f. extortioner [727 * harpax] [Zodhiates: Rapacious person or animal, as wolves.]

g. In the very next chapter, actually eleven verses a head, Paul gives another list of offences and again says the individuals guilty of these will not inherit the Kingdom of God. The good news is he goes on to say that some of the Corinthians in their church used to be these people but they have been saved and delivered from those behaviors.

1). 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God/ Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God."

h. An interesting element in all of this is the
fornicator (1 Corinthians 10:8; Numbers 25:1, 9), and the idolater were punishable by death under the old covenant (Deuteronomy 17:2-5), as was the individual who was sleeping with his step mother (Leviticus 20:11). Yet under the New Covenant there is no death penalty issued. Granted, when all the ingredients of excommunication are added up, the sum is quite terrifying, but the individual is spared immediate death. He is to be removed by a formal spiritual exercise of the local body.


My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print