1 Corinthians 9:25
by Don Costello

1 Corinthians 9:25

And everyman that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown, but we an incorruptible .

1."And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things"

a. [Amplified Bible] "Now every athlete who goes into training conducts himself temperately and restricts himself in all things."

b. striveth [75 * agonizomai] [Zodhiates: To contend for victory in the public gamesgenerally to fight or wrestleas an inward contestto take painsstraining every nerve to the uttermost towards the goalspecial pain and toil. (English: agony) ]

c. temperate [1467 * enkrateuomai] [Zodhiates: To be continent, temperate, to have self-control.]

1). The training that an athlete puts forth to win is sometimes incredible. The Greek word Paul used for "striveth" is where the English word 'agony' comes from. The NIV uses the phrase "competes in the games". It involves bodily exercise, weight lifting, diet, and sleeping habits, everything that would improve their chances of winning. Their whole world revolves around it. Here the Spirit of God encourages us to use the same amount of effort to live for Christ as an athlete does to win the race.

2). I am reminded of what Paul wrote to Timothy in his first letter.

a). 1 Timothy 4:7, 8 "But refuse profane and old wives fables, and exercise thyself unto godliness.
For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come."
b). Paul is not saying there is anything wrong with bodily exercise, in fact he writes that its profitable. The profit is little but there is profit, but he says that godliness is much more profitable not only in this life but also in the life to come.

c). The bottom line in all of this is use the same effort to pursue godliness that is used to pursue excellence in athletics.

d. The effort has to be according to the rules.

1). 2 Timothy 2:5 "And if a man strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully."

e. According to His working.

1). Colossians 1:28, 29 "Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:
Whereunto I also labor, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily."

2. "Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown, but we an incorruptible."

a. The crown that these athletes received was merely a wreath of a leafed vine, that within days falls apart. We on the other hand receive a crown that is incorruptible, and eternal one.

My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print