1 Corinthians 9:27
by Don Costello

1 Corinthians 9:27

But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

1."But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection"

a. keep under [ 5299 * hupoiazo; hupo-under; ops-the area under the eye.] [Zodhiates: to strike under the eye, beat the face black and blue, give a black eye. In the NT generally means to subject the body with hardship.

b. Amplified Bible: "But like a boxer I buffet my bodyhandle it roughly, discipline it by hardships and subdue it"

c. subjection [1396 * doulagogeo; doulos-in bondage; ago-to bring] [Literally to bring into bondage]

d. The Greek word Paul used for "subjection" is a compound word, the first half, "doulos" of course means slave. Doulos is the same word Paul used in Romans 6:16.

1). Romans 6:16 "Know ye not that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death or obedience unto righteousness?"

e. We as Christians have the covenantal responsibility to bring our flesh under subjection, i.e., through the power of the Holy Ghost, to make or force our bodies to be obedient to the word of God. This process of course involves our responsibilities of prayer and study of the word, without which, this process is just a futile attempt of physical discipline.

1). Romans 12:1 "I beseech you brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service."
2). 1 Thessalonians 4:3, 4 "For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:
That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;"

3). Others that could be written out are more than a few, but I will at least list some of them. Romans 6:13, Romans 6:16-18.

2. "lest that by any means when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway."


a. Amplified Bible: "for fear that after proclaiming to others the Gospel and things pertaining to it, I myself should become unfitnot stand the test and be unapproved and rejected as a counterfeit."

b. castaway [96 * adokimos; a-without; dokimos-acceptable, approved.] [Zodhiates: Unapproved, unworthy, spurious, worthless.]

1). Paul clearly said that he would be rejected if he did not bring his flesh body under subjection. I believe that means he would not make it to heaven. I believe this is shown in not only his statement here but coupled with the examples from the Old Covenant he also gives in the next chapter.

c. This same word is translated "reprobate" in Romans 1:28, Titus 1:16, and 2 Timothy 3:8. It is translated "rejected" in Hebrews 6:8.

1). Romans 1:28 "And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;"

2). Hebrews 6:8 "But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned."

3). Titus 1:16 "They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate."

4). 2 Timothy 3:8 "Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith."


My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print