Acts 2:31-33
by Don Costello

Acts 2:31

He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

1."He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ"

a. David was given a vision of the resurrection of Christ.

2. "that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption."

a. This is also referred to in other places of the NT.

1). Ephesians 4:9, 10 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

2). 1 Peter 3:18, 19 "For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;"

Acts 2:32, 33

"This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear."

1."Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted"

a. Peter is continuing his preaching the resurrection of Christ, and he ties it to Psalms 110:1.

b. Psalms 110:1 is the most quoted and alluded to Old Testament verse in the New Testament. The sitting down of Christ at the right hand of God is such an important moment because from that point on, the New Covenant is given, beginning with the out pouring of the Holy Ghost.

c. The fact that Jesus is seated at the right hand of God exalted will be looked at more closely in Acts 2:36

2. "and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear."

a. This is what Jesus was referring to in some of his teaching to the disciples.

1). John 14:16, 17 "And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever.
Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you."

2). John 16:7 "Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you."

b. One of the things being established in this passage is that speaking in tongues is the only tangible evidence of being filled with the Holy Ghost. If you are filled with the Holy Ghost, you will speak in tongues if you are obedient. What they saw and what they heard was the speaking in tongues.

1). Acts 2:7, 8 "And they were all amazed and marveled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?"

c. Seconds later Peter made this revealing statement about the promise of the baptism of the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in other tongues. It was for every believer!

1). Acts 2:39 "For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call."

2). The Lord is still calling!


My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print