Are you doing all that you can to help your child succeed in life? PT2
by Janice S Ramkissoon

Neglect of Parental Responsibilities

When we neglect our responsibilities as parents, we contribute to the breakdown of society. We release these children into their adult years, unprepared. So as adults, they are still waiting to be taught and so they make-up the rules as they go along. But it was never a child's responsibility to go and find knowledgeit was always the parent's duty to train up that child.

With the lack of training, and still under the influence of the spirit of confusion, they join the workforce; scattered across society in every profession. They become fathers, mothers, husbands, wives and the cycle begins again.

Then we complain about the break-down of society when we contributed to it in the first place. This puts pressure on the government system to provide more in the way of social services: caring for the elderly and the widowed; orphans; mental care facilities, extra teachers support/ mentors, after-school care etc. which results in increase of taxes and insurances we pay.

It all boils down to the parenting aspect. Unless parents take up the role of parenting, society will continue to deteriorate. It is time for the complaints to cease. We need to start acting in a responsible way, using the bible as our guide. Let the children be children and let the parents start to teach.


Parents with unresolved Childhood Issues

Now, if you are a parent who has issues from childhood, you need to deal with those issues so you can be free from captivity; be healed so you can start to operate in your role as a parent. God has given you a giftthe precious gift of a child, born into your care. He also gave us instructions on how to care for these precious children. He left us with instructions on how to handle every situation that comes our way while training these children. Children should not be paying for the mistakes of their parents or their parents' parents. We need to stop asking God to change these childrenHe has already answered us through His Word. It is for us to heed those words; educate ourselves by daily feeding on His Word so we can receive the daily strength we need to carry out this important task. There is no greater responsibility than to train up a child in the way that he or she should go/grow.


The task Ahead

It is not an easy roleit's the most challenging, but I guarantee that if you apply God's instructions, it becomes the most rewarding of any job you've ever done or ever will do. It's a privilege, not everyone has. So, if you are one of the chosen ones to help in training up these children, then say: 'Yes Lord! I will.' And God will see to it that your days are blessed beyond measure.

You can do it! There is nothing impossible with God. My life could have had a different story, considering the lack of parental training. But today, I too have the responsibility of training up a child, based on God's instructions. It's a choice I have like any other parent. It isn't always easy. And sometimes the fears do come and I wish I had more support but I am still left with a choice just like you. I had the choice to let go of my past hurt and be renewed (so I could be all that my child needed me to be) or hold onto to the past with all the resentment and feed this negativity, through my actions, to my child. I chose to let go of the past and allow God to renew a right spirit within me. It was the right choice because today, I'm reaping the rewards.


Choose the ways of Christ

I would encourage you to choose the ways of Christ. Follow His instructions, let go of the past. It is just another yoke around your neck. But God's yoke is easy and His burden is light. Exchange your yoke for His and receive the life He promised youlife in abundance, according to John 10:10.

It's a win/win situation when you submit to the teachings of Christ. In submission you chose life. He takes care of all your needs and what seemed complicated before, becomes simple. Having submitted your will to His, things that were hidden to you before will now be revealed. 'The Lord's searchlight penetrates the human spirit exposing every hidden motive.' (Proverbs 20:27, NTL)


Getting to the Root of the Problem

With your eyes now opened, you can get to the root of that which finds your child/ren categorised as 'rebellious' instead of focusing on the rebellion. And for those, not yet in this category but heading down that street, you'll know just what to do; for 'A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.' (Proverbs 22:3a) But if you choose to ignore the instructions of the Lord you remain 'the simpleton' the latter part of this proverb speaks of, who 'goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.'

So let us all do as the bible says, 'Teach your children to choose the right path, and when they are older, they will remain upon it.' (Proverbs 22:6) It is a 'pleasure to have wise children, it brings joy to a father's heart and happiness to a mother.' So ask yourself each day 'Am I doing the best that I can for my child/ren'. See if you measure up.

Janice S Ramkissoon 2008

Janice, a freelance writer, lives in the UK and enjoys spending time with her husband, Vince and their son, Javin.  She uses her gift to encourage others towards a deeper relationship with God, through her inspirational pieces while her travel articles provide general advice for the holiday-maker.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print