If I Can Do It, So Can You
by Helen Dowd

Psalm 32:8 "I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye."

I started writing late in life. The credit for what ever I may have accomplished goes to God, my husband, and my parents and other relatives. When I started school, I did not know what was expected of me, so I would sit at my desk and cry, or chew on a pencil, an eraser, a ruler, or a crayon. I was what someone once called a "crayon eater." In other words, I began school not "understanding the rules."

But whose rules? Do you need rules to become an artist, a musician, a writer?

On my first day of school, not understanding what the teacher expected of me, I just cried, and ate the chalk. (*Another one of my stories). Then, as I proceeded to the higher grades, I still did not understand what it was that my "betters" required of me... In the second grade the teacher shook me because I didn't understand how to add. Well, let me tell you, Mrs. White, since becoming an adult, I have worked as a bookkeeper; and even now, as a senior, I do people's income tax.... In the fourth grade I was told I read too slowly. Too slowly for what? Did it matter Mrs. Robinson? I still can tell you exactly what grade I was in, and where I was sitting in class, when a certain piece of knowledge entered my brain. Slow to get there? Perhaps, but the knowledge was permanent.

It was in the seventh grade that the teacher told me I gave up too easily, and would never amount to anything. Thanks Mr. McKenzie! But because of a supportive husband, who will never let me give up, I have been able to prove you wrong...My grade eight teacher flung my book across the floor, after reading one of my GOOD stories, telling me that I must have cheated. That couldn't have been MY story. I wasn't bright enough to compose anything that intelligent.

Well, Mrs. Jordan. If you were living, and I could find you, I would tell you that you were wrong. In fact, I may even stick my tongue out at you, as I would have done then, had I dared. I have not only composed many stories, but I am a published author. I write poetry, stories and articles on a regular basis.

In the tenth grade my typing teacher told me I would never make a typist. Wrong again! Not only have I worked as a secretary, I sit at my computer for hours a day, TYPING! Where are you, Mrs.Yand? In heaven, I expect.

I could go on, but my point is not to tell the world about my accomplishments: they are few. It is to encourage anyone reading this that YOU CAN DO IT. Don't let anyone discourage you from fulfilling your dreams.


If I CAN DO IT, So Can You!

When life throw its daggers and arrows your way,
Never stagger, nor falter, nor weakness display.
Stand up to your foe. Look him straight in the face.
Don't let problems beat you, nor cause you disgrace.
It's YOUR life to rule, so YOU take control.
Keep your eyes straight ahead.
Don't lose sight of your goal.

Psalm 123:1 "Unto thee lift I up mine eyes. O thou that dwellest in the heavens."

Helen Dowd

I am thankful to the Lord for my Christian parents who brought me up to love the Lord, and who taught me that there are no second-generation Christians, and that each person must accept Christ's gift of salvation--the shedding of His blood on Calvary. I gave my heart to the Lord at the age of eight. .... Now that I am in my retirement years, I am enjoying spending time at my computer, along side my husband of 51 years,  writing poetry, story poems, stories about pets and life in general, as well as inspirational and Bible stories. My  writings can be found on my website: www.occupytillicome.com

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print