Genesis 14:2
by Don Costello

Genesis 14:2

That these made war with Bera king of Sodom, and with Birsha king of Gomorrah, Shinab king of Admah, and Shemeber king of Zeboim, and the king of Bela, which is Zoar.

1. These are the five kings of the cities of the plain; four are named and one is not.

a. Bera (1298 * Bera') (Strong's: Uncertain derivative.) (Gesenius: "gift".)

b. Birsha (1306 * Birsha') (Strong's: "with wickedness".) (Unger's: "with wickedness".) (Gesenius: "son of wickedness.")

c. Shinab (8134 * Shin'ab) (Strong's: "a father has turned".) (Gesenius: "fathers tooth".)

1). Could this refer to a father turning to homosexuality? Admah, the city this man was King of, was one of the cities destroyed because of same sex lust.

d. Shem 'eber (8038 * Shem' eber) (Strong's: apparently from Shem 8034 [which means] position, appellation, honour, authority, character" or "name", [Strong's also says it is the same as the name for Shem, Noah's son, which is 8035, and means "shame"], 'eber, a pinion, [hence] "name of pinion i. e., illustrious". (Gesenius: "soaring on high".)

1). Interesting name similarities.


My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print