Compassion into Passion
by Kathleen Angell

We have been doing a outreach for some time.  Feeding the poor and needy. (that is both through food helps and speaking of our Savior). The Lord showed that I was to allow His compassion to be my passion and  to share that passion with others about what we are doing.


Well, I tried to think how to share and what to write. I was stumped. How do I explain this to others? How do I explain and share with others about this work of compassion that comes from Jesus that would even change our lives into a passion to share His love with others by helping them, loving them, in their destitute need?  And I ask the Lord to show me how to do that. How do I share this with others. And He showed me this...


He showed me the book I'd just bought my grandson. It is nearing the Christmas season and the little book is a "A Christmas Carol", about Ebenezer Scrooge. Scrooge, through various hurts and life's experiences took his life and turned inward into one of selfishness and hardened heart toward others. Ebenezer Scrooge became hardened to others around him. Even those in destitute need. Though all around him were in need, his self-centered life and selfishness failed to care about them, and he thought only of himself. God is so merciful. He calls us to awake us and He even warns us. Even in the story of Scrooge, Ebenezer gets another chance before it is too late. A wake up call. He saw himself and what he'd become, he saw those whose lives were affected by his life-either adversely or positively. He also saw that others in even more destitute circumstances and means, kept a sense of giving and joy, and he saw that at the end of his life he would die miserably and alone and a child he could save would be, if left unhelped, gone.


When our bowels of mercy are closed, and when we live inwardly in selfishness and not ourtwardly in helping and caring about others our plenty just sits with us and never goes out to help those it is intended for. The Bible refers to what we are doing when we are storing up earthly treasures for ourselves. What we have kept for ourselves. Because it's end and what it becomes is rottenness and rust. It has turned to nothing.


But when what we have is given to share with others it can be the chance and change given to a life in need, to live. Whether it is spiritual treasures of love and compassion and knowing Jesus Christ, or physical treasures we've been blessed with, they are given, and grow through giving to others and come to nothing through hoarding. The end of this story is Ebenezer on his knees, repenting and he wept- "Now I must change." "The very next moment-Scrooge woke in his bed."


This reminds me of the Bible. Immediately the beggar at the gate Beautiful received strength in his ankles and began to walk. That is what Ebenezer began to do. He immediately began to change. He began to take of his own bounty-and for us it may be physical or it may be spiritual, but it will be both- (we take Jesus' love and the message of who he is, but we also cannot say be warmed and not give the food and a blanket for the need that it there, if we can.


Ebenezer began to pour out on those people around him that had less out of his bounty. He began to share his life with others and be a blessing. He began to be the waters that bring change into others lives. He began to be, with what he'd been given in his life, a change and a blessing to those around him. He began to care for others and caring very much for their lives that they would live.


There was, in that story, great rejoicing that day. So is there, spoken of in the Bible, great rejoicing on the day a sinner repents. Everything experiences change and rejoicing when we begin to become what God has made us to be. A blessing to others.


I, like Scrooge, had many of life's experiences in which I turned inward into selfishness. But when Jesus comes into my life, He changes my life. From one of selfishness to one of blessing, and one of giving out of that blessing to others, if I will allow Him to.


We find that we become the vessel to allow Jesus' compassion and presence, His life, to pour out to others' lives who are crying out for us to give their parched lives  a drink of water and refreshing their souls.


Sincerely in His love.


Kathy Angell



My name is Kathleen Angell.  
My life was dramatically changed when the Lord made Himself real to me.  
We have an outreach to folks experiencing shelter and street life.  It is a great joy to us.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print