Matthew 26:3
by Don Costello

Matthew 26:3

Then assembled together the chief priests, and the scribes, and the elders of the people, unto the palace of the high priest, who was called Caiaphas,

1. "unto the palace of the high priest, who was called Caiaphas."

a. Caiaphas [Unger's Bible Dictionary] a surname, the original name being Joseph (Josephus, Ant., xviii,2, 2); but, the surname becoming his ordinary and official designation, it was used for the name itself.

b. Enquirer News Services, 8/14/92. "Israeli archaeologists have discovered the family tomb of Caiaphas, the Jewish high priest who presided at the trial of Jesus and delivered him to the Romans to be crucified.
Buried in an ancient cave on the outskirts of Jerusalem, the family's bones were sealed in ornate and elaborately carved ossuariesceremonial boxes used widely by the Jews of the late first century.
Archeologists say no comparable evidence exists for the remains of any other such major figure mentioned in the New Testament. But after 2000 years, the presence of Caiaphas' bones in the tomb cannot be verified. The age of the bones, the inscriptions on the ossuaries and the artifacts that surrounded them all point directly toward his influential family.
Like many such discoveries, this one came by accident, when workers widening a road in Jerusalem's Peace Forest in 1990 stumbled across an unusually large burial site.
The finding is reported in the September October issue of Biblical Archaeology.



My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print