Hebrews 11:11
by Don Costello

Hebrew 11:11

Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised.

a. Amplified Bible: "Because of faith also Sara herself received physical power to conceive a child, even when who was long past the age for it, because she considered God who had given her the promise, reliable and trustworthy and true to his word."

1. "Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age"

a. Sara was barren.

1). Genesis 11:30 "But Sarai was barren; she had no child."

b. As we will see in the passage we will look at, Sarah at this time had gone through menopause.

1). Genesis 18:11 "Now Abraham and Sarah were old and well stricken in age; and it ceased to be with Sarah after the manner of women."

c. Really it was impossible in the natural for Sarah to get pregnant.

d. strength [1411 * dunamis] [Vine: power] [Bullinger: capability to do anything; ability to perform anything; not merely power capable of action, but power in action.]

e. past age [2244 * helikia] [Zodhiates: adulthood, maturity of life.]

2. "because she judged him faithful who had promised."

a. The incident that caused Sarah to judge God faithful was no doubt the incident in Genesis 18, when the LORD and two angels visited Abraham and Sarah.

b. Genesis 18:9-15 And they said unto him, Where is Sarah thy wife? And he said, Behold, in the tent.
And he said, I will certainly return unto thee according to the time of life; and, lo, Sarah thy wife shall have a son. And Sarah heard it in the tent door, which was behind him.
Now Abraham and Sarah were old and well stricken in age; and it ceased to be with Sarah after the manner of women.
Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?
And the LORD said unto Abraham, Wherefore did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I of a surety bear a child, which am old?
Is anything too hard for the LORD? At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son.
Then Sarah denied, saying, I laughed not; for she was afraid. And he said, Nay; but thou didst laugh."

1). The effect upon Sarah was fear. The LORD revealed the secrets of her heart. I am reminded of the utterance gifts in 1 Corinthians.

a). 1 Corinthians 14:24, 25 "But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or is unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all.
And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth."

b). Up until the moment in Genesis 18, Sarah was not a believer. This incident caused her to judge God faithful, and she received strength through her faith and delivered Isaac.


My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print