TAKE TIME TO PRAY
by

Matthew 6:6
But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

My mind keeps going over a recent prayer meeting I attended. My heart is saddened and my soul aches. You see, I left this prayer meeting wondering what had just happened. One person screamed at the Lord and demanded the presence of the Holy Spirit. Another wanted prayers answered and answered NOW. And yet another's voice increased in intensity above someone else praying, reaching a point where it became unbearable to my ears. These were children yelling at their Father and demanding their own way. I can't explain what happened in any other way.

Perhaps I'm old fashioned or just prefer the quietness and personal relationship that comes with being with the Father in prayer. Some may even say I misunderstood the prayer meeting. But I wasn't the only one who 'misunderstood' what and how they 'prayed'.

I love to pray. I love to pray in prayer meetings, even if someone finds the need to pray over the top of me because I'm not loud enough for the Father to hear. I can't ever remember reading in the Word that our Father is deaf. Where has the burden gone to pray as Jesus prayed? Where is the desire to set time aside to really pray as He taught us?

Without going into a thesis, what does it really mean to pray? Prayer is more than asking. Prayer is praising God, waiting in his presence, confessing our sins to the Father, reading and meditating on his word, interceding for others, presenting our petitions and thanking him for all things. For some, it can even include singing, but we need time to listen to what God has to say to us; to hear that still small voice.

Matthew 18:20 speaks about praying together. "For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them." So why would we need to demand His presence?

The next time you make time to pray, either in a group or in your own quiet time with the Father, remember to really take time to pray. Don't make your own agenda and check your motives.

Father, help me to remember to pray as you have taught us. Help me to praise Your name and give thanks for your blessings. Don't allow me to get caught up in my own agenda and demand my way as a spoilt child. Give me a heart to take the time to really pray. Amen

Chrissy Siggee

Scripture Verses used are from the King James Version of the Bible

Chrissy Siggee is the author of 'Glimpses of His Glory', a collection of her poetry, devotions, pencil illustrations and nature photos. - SORRY - SOLD OUT! 
Chrissy is also the author of the teen novel 'Out of the Shadows - Jenna's Secret.' http://chrissysiggee.com/shadows/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print