Poetic Recitation on the Rule of St. Benedict by Peter Menkin
by Peter Menkin

Saturday, September 09, 2006


A poem (again, a poem) about God in one's life: The Rule of St. Benedict... turning to God in vigil...

Most recently, I have begun a vigil for a woman who is nearing death. I visit a nursing home health care unit weekly, and a woman I have known for a while is refusing to eat, apparently too old now to live. This disturbs me, and it has been going on for some time. No one could do anything about it, including doctors and nurses. What do I do? How do I react? I chose to turn to God and a vigil.

I called it my vigil, but when I mentioned it to others they suggested some prayers (for it is their vigil, too). I chose to turn to God, and this poem is about a way of turning to God.

Poetic recitation on The Rule of St. Benedict

by Peter Menkin


Attend with the ear of your heart

Listen in the silence

at night or daytime

through trials and living.


This Rule brings God, the Lord

closer: do so to me.


Labor of obedience:

Before beginning a goodwork, pray earnestly.

We are the Lords counted

sons and daughters.

The path offers good gifts,

open your eyes to the light.

Arise from sleep.


The Rule proffers the voice

from heaven this day.

Audio reading by poet of poem is here:

http://www.archive.org/details/PoeticRenditionOnTheRuleOfSt.BenedictByPeterMenkin



This prayer was suggested as one for the vigil:

For All Who Suffer: O God, look with mercy on those who suffer, and heal their spirits,that they may be delivered from sickness and fear. Restore hopefor the desolate, give rest to the weary, comfort the sorrowful, bewith the dying; and bring them, finally, to their true heavenly home, for Jesus Christ's sake. Amen.

Peter Menkin, an aspiring poet, lives in Mill Valley, CA USA where he writes poetry. He is an Oblate of Immaculate Heart Hermitage, Big Sur, CA and that means he is a Camaldoli Benedictine. He is 64 years of age as of 2010.

Copyright Peter Menkin

http://www.petermenkin.blogspot.com

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print