The Awakening Spirit by Peter Menkin
by Peter Menkin

Notice the Spirit of God, it is being awakened in us for Christmas...


Sometimes my poems are better, and sometimes they are not so good. That's how it goes with poetry. So is my experience. Here is a poem about Advent, written in the year 2001. My experience this third Sunday of Advent in Church was a different experience, yet similar. The Spirit was present today in our worship service of Lessons & Carols. And the Spirit was present in some readings I am doing for Advent. I am reading two books this season. Here I'll first mention the supplemental book.


Published by Morehouse, an Episcopal publishing house, the book titled "Run, Shepherds, Run" is by L. William Countryman. The subtitle is "Poems for Advent and Christmas." A dear friend bought me this book, one I did not know about, and I am grateful to her.


The main book I am reading is titled, "Watch for the Light: Readings for Advent and Christmas." It is a collection of different writers writing about this season. Published by Orbis, a Maryknoll house, I have found these helpful in giving me direction this season.


Here are some words from the hymn printed in the book of poems. The author is anonymous.


O come thou Wisdom from on high,/who orderest all things mightily;/to us the path of knowledge show,/and teach us in her ways to go.






My poem from 2001:





by Peter Menkin

The vision on awakening
during morningtime, blue sky
white flower sky
painting tree
with creation reality.

This great experience
of the spirit;
the new life of incarnate God -- the Christ.
"I in them and they in me,
that they may be perfectly one."

Advent days; come Lord.
Winter light hours beckon.
The poinsettias red leaves.


Audio reading of the poem by the poet is here:
http://www.archive.org/details/TheAwakeningSpiritByPeterMenkin

Peter Menkin, an aspiring poet, lives in Mill Valley, CA USA where he writes poetry. He is an Oblate of Immaculate Heart Hermitage, Big Sur, CA and that means he is a Camaldoli Benedictine. He is 64 years of age as of 2010.

Copyright Peter Menkin

http://www.petermenkin.blogspot.com

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print