Isaiah 52:13
by Don Costello

Isaiah 52:13

Behold, my servant shall deal prudently, he shall be exalted and extolled, and very high.

1. "Behold, my servant shall deal prudently"

a. prudently [7919 * sakal] to be circumspect and hence intelligent: consider, expert, instruct.

1). The the same Hebrew word used for "prudently" in Isaiah 52:13 is the same Hebrew word used for "prosper" in Joshua and and 1 Kings.

a). Joshua 1:8 "This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success."

b). 1 Kings 2:2, 3 "I go the way of all the earth: be thou strong therefore, and shew thyself a man;
And keep the charge of the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments, and his testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, that thou mayest prosper in all that thou doest, and whithersoever thou turnest thyself:"


b. These promises on meditation are for any believer, who acts in obedience to them, but this particular verse in Isaiah is of course speaking of Christ, and so we can make a logical deduction that Christ was a meditator of God's word. There is abundance evidence of this in the Psalms and the Gospels, but we will not go into it here. I do want to look at other verses that speak of the servant Messiah.

1). Isaiah 11:1-5 "And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:
And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD;
And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear of the LORD: and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears:
But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lip shall he slay the wicked.
And righteousness shall be the girdle of his loins, and faithfulness the girdle of his reins."

a). Cp. Isa. 61:1-2a; Luke 4:16-20.

2). Isaiah 42:1-4 "Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: and he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.
He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.
A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.
He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his law."

2. "he shall be exalted and extolled, and be very high."

a. The exaltation of Christ because of his obedience is clearly mentioned in the next chapter in Isaiah.

1). Isaiah 53:12 "Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he will divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death"

b. This of course matches perfectly what is said in Philippians.
1). Philippians 2:8-11 "And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name above every name;
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."


My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print