Isaiah 53:2
by Don Costello

Isaiah 53:2

For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

1. "For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of dry ground"

a. These terms are agricultural and Messianic, in that they speak of Jesus.

1). Isaiah 11:1 "And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots."

2). Jeremiah 23:5, 6 "Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.
In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS."

3). Isaiah 4:2 "In that day shall the branch of the LORD be beautiful and glorious, and the fruit of the earth shall be excellent and comely for them that are escaped of Israel."

4). NIV Study Bible note: "it was the Babylonian exile that brought the kingdom of Judah to an end in 586 B.C.. The Messiah will grow as a shoot from that stump of David's dynasty."

2. "he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him."

a. comeliness [1926 * hadar] [Strongs: magnificence, ornament or splendor, beauty goodly, honour.]

1). AMG, The Complete Word Study Of The Old Testament: "A noun meaning glory, splendor, majesty. It describes the impressive character of God in 1 Chronicles 16:27 and His thunderous voice in Psalms 29:4. Isaiah describes sinners fleeing from the [majesty of the LORD]"hadar" in Isaiah 2:10, 19.In Isaiah's prophetic description of the Suffering Servant, he uses "hadar" to say that the Servant will have no splendor to attract people to Him (Isaiah 53:2)."

2). In Philippians 2:7 it is seen that when God became man in Christ Jesus, he laid aside all his Godlike characteristics and took the form of a servant. He laid aside his omnipotence, omnipresence, his omniscience, and the glory and majesty of the Godhead. When he healed the sick and cast out devils, he did so as a man filled with the Holy Ghost, not as God. See Notes on Philippians 2:7.


b. beauty [4758 * mar'eh] [Strongs: a view, an appearance (the thing seen), countenance, fair, favored, goodly, to look upon.

1). I believe that this verse is saying that Jesus is not the handsome, good looking individual that some believe. His attraction is the compassion, mercy and grace and inspiration that he demonstrated in His life.


My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print