Learning from Jesus on the Sea
by Marijo Phelps

Matthew 14:22-33 (New King James Version)
New King James Version (NKJV)


Jesus Walks on the Sea


22 Immediately Jesus made His disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side, while He sent the multitudes away. 23 And when He had sent the multitudes away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. Now when evening came, He was alone there. 24 But the boat was now in the middle of the sea,[a] tossed by the waves, for the wind was contrary.
25 Now in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them, walking on the sea. 26 And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, "It is a ghost!" And they cried out for fear. 27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, "Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid." 28 And Peter answered Him and said, "Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water." 29 So He said, "Come." And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus. 30 But when he saw that the wind was boisterous,[b] he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, "Lord, save me!"
31 And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?" 32 And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased.
33 Then those who were in the boat came and worshiped Him, saying, "Truly You are the Son of God." NKJV


Regarding our faith: when the ship is sinking in the stormy seas and you think Jesus left you and is safe on the shore while you are facing death,


REMEMBER:

Vs22 "Immediately Jesus made His disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side, while He sent the multitudes away." Jesus SENT the disciples ahead.


Vs23 "And when He had sent the multitudes away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. Now when evening came, He was alone there." Jesus went alone to pray.


Vs 24 "But the boat was now in the middle of the sea,[a] tossed by the waves, for the wind was contrary." The boat (disciples) was far away under adverse conditions.


Vs 25 "Now in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them, walking on the sea." Jesus went to them before they called out.


Vs 26 "And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, "It is a ghost!" And they cried out for fear." They didn't see Him for who He was (almighty) but thought HE was a ghost.


Vs 27 "But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, "Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid."" He reassured them.


Vs 28 "And Peter answered Him and said, "Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water."" Peter (put your name instead of Peter's) doubted and said ".. if it's You, ask me to come to You"


Vs 29 "So He said, "Come." And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus." Jesus said come and Peter (put your name instead of Peter's) did.


Vs 30 "But when he saw that the wind was boisterous,[b] he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, "Lord, save me!"" Peter (put your name instead of Peter's) took his eyes off his master and started going under but Jesus reached out still


Vs 31 "And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?"" Jesus caught and taught Peter (place your name here) telling him not to doubt .


Vs32 "And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased." AFTER Peter (you could put your name here too) stepped out on the water and did what Jesus said, the life threatening storm stopped.


Vs 33 "Then those who were in the boat came and worshiped Him, saying, "Truly You are the Son of God." Those watching had a revelation of who Jesus was." We know He isn't going to mandate something impossible for us to do.


ACTION indicated in each verse:

Vs 22 obedience

Vs 23 get alone with God

Vs 24 battles

Vs 25 the Lord is with me in battles with ALL His strength for me

Vs 26 I'm afraid and doubtful of phenomena

Vs 27 Jesus reassures casts out fear

Vs 28 I doubt and ask for a sign but at some risk to me

Vs 29 Jesus says come, I go

Vs 30 the wind blows hard, I doubt

Vs 31 Jesus lifts me and chides me for my doubt but saves me

Vs 32 I worship and am reaffirmed, underscores deity of Jesus and my relationship with Him

My blog is: http://myincrediblelord.blogspot.com/

(C) Marijo Phelps all rights reserved. Use with proper credits.

About Self 
 
Saved by His grace in 1974, from 9 years of professing atheism into His loving arms. RN for 23 years, missionary with YWAM then statistical analyst for Every Home for Christ over 9 years. Living with my husband in the middle of a mountain meadow. GRIN! Wanting to spread the good news

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print