Re-Purposed
by Karen Wilber

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 NIV

We were in the beginning weeks of a church-wide study of The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. As we progressed from "What on Earth am I Here For?" to "You Were Formed for God's Family" my anticipation grew.

God has a purpose for me.

I wondered what kind of ministry God had planned. I'd been a part-time seminary student for a couple of years. I had been working on my Biblical storytelling skills and drama ministry at church. Now I was leading a small group study consisting of church members and my unchurched neighbors. Clearly, something big was about to happen.

But not what I thought.

I had been feeling a little "funny" the past few days. Not sick. Just tingly. One morning it dawned on me--check the calendar. Could I be pregnant? We'd put off starting a family for years. Months ago we decided to put the matter in God's hands. I wasn't expecting to be--well--expecting so soon. On the way home from work that evening I selected a home pregnancy test kit from the variety of boxes lining the drugstore shelves. Each one promised me easy, clear, accurate results.

Just to be sure, I took two.

God has different methods of calling people to serve him. Moses had his burning bush. Gideon met an angel at the winepress. I held a 5 inch long, white test strip which practically screamed "You're going to be a mom!"

I'm going to be a mom.

If I ranked the top 5 joyful moments of my life, this would be one of them. I kept quiet for two days, planning to surprise my husband on his birthday with a baby toy. I began praying for the new life inside of me. I was never one of those women who grew dewy-eyed at the sight of a baby. After 4 years of teaching sixth graders, I wasn't even sure I ever wanted to have kids. God changed all that.

Now I have two.

God repurposed my life. I was content with my plans, not knowing that God had greater plans. Over the past few years, I've felt him repackage and recycle me, pulling out the bits and pieces of my life and abilities that he placed there for a reason in order to create a new mommy. He's called me to be the mother two active little boys and I pray for his guidance. After all, this was his idea.

As I tucked my now 4-year-old son into bed the other night I whispered, "God has a plan for you." His eyes grew wide. "What is it?"

Something wonderful. Wait and see.

(c) 2012  Karen Wilber

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print