Genesis 18:20, 21
by Don Costello

Genesis 18:20

And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous ;

1. "And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great"

a. In reality it was all the cities of the plain, and there were five of them: Sodom, Gomorrah, Admah, Zeboim, and Bela (renamed Zoar), Genesis 14:2. When they were destroyed, Lot fled to Zoar and the city was spared.

1). Genesis 19:17-22.

b. cry [2201 * zeaqah] [Strongs: a shriek or outcry.] [AMG: It refers to the plaintive crying out for those oppressed in Sodom and Gommorah.]

1). Genesis 4:9, 10 "And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel they brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brothers keeper?
And he said, What hast thou done? The voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.

2). Hosea 4:1-3 "Hear the word of the LORD, ye children of Israel: for the LORD hath a controversy with the inhabitants of the land, because there is no truth, nor mercy, nor knowledge of God in the land.
By swearing, and lying, and killing, and stealing, and committing adultery, they break out, and blood toucheth blood.
Therefore shall the land mourn, and every one that dwelleth therein shall languish, with the beasts of the field, and with the fowls of heaven; yea, the fishes of the sea also shall be taken away."

c. great [7227 * rab] [Strongs: abundant in quantity, size, age, number, rank, quality.] [AMG: An adjective meaning many, much, great, long, mighty.]


2. "and because their sin is very grievous."

a. grievous [3513 * kabed] [Strongs: to be heavy in a bad sense, burdensome, severe. Or in a good sense, numerous, rich, honourable.

Genesis 18:21

I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.

1. "I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it"

a. cry [6818 * tsaaqah] [Strongs: a shriek or cry (ing). [AMG: It describes a call for help, a cry of wailing and despair.]


My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print