Book Review: The Golden String, An Autobiography by Bede Griffiths
by Peter Menkin

Learning about a life of growing in the spirit with God

There is a formative sense to his writings, a recollection in faith and God that is delicately wrought and said with a sense of the imminence of God in
his life as a young man, and the beauty of poetry. I like that he comes to the subject of generations and of the various human forces of mankind in twentieth century history with a willingness of being open to some imaginative life that seems touched with the Holy Spirit. I wonder about this man of Christ, and his life that is lived in a way that is really outside my experience and observation (saintly); here is Dom Bede's genuineness in faith and his own religious devotion. When reading the work, I sought: I want some of that richness that is tenderly present.

I understand this to be his first book. One reason to read the work for me I found is to look for it to open me, and there I found a kind of widening of the vista where there
is a wind that blows that says this is a strong current in our lives. Here in this book, an autobiography of a man of God, there is a larger sense of the Christian faith ecumenical, a to be of our future, yet with the promise of Christ that says we are this
unique group, Christian. The book is about the modern world. So it comes to me that way, and as I go through it I sought some taste of the wisdom that is inherent in what is a life that is gifted with the Grace of God.

Certainly there is the inter-religious, and some notes to understanding an inner dialogue including the dialogue of prayer. Someone needs to want to read this kind of work to enjoy it in that light. The slim volume is good for reflection and meditation. One reflection it offered me was newly awakened: to think of charity. This "Golden String" is a holy kind of history. For me I continue seeing it as a kind of religious record and writing. The book was recommended by a monk to me. He said it was like reading something by Thomas Merton.

--Peter Menkin, Mill Valley, CA USA

Peter Menkin, an aspiring poet, lives in Mill Valley, CA USA where he writes poetry. He is an Oblate of Immaculate Heart Hermitage, Big Sur, CA and that means he is a Camaldoli Benedictine. He is 64 years of age as of 2010.

Copyright Peter Menkin

http://www.petermenkin.blogspot.com

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print