Pink Highlights
by Pat Guy

Pink Highlights

I am here to warn you to implore you. Do not I repeat, do not visit or have anything to do with neighbors who display a Cross on the walls of their home and want to tell you The Story. My family did and I lost them forever. It still pains me today.

Our neighbors seemed innocent enough as I think back to a time when I was a child growing up in the South. They were kind and nice people. But underneath their kindness I have come to believe they had an agenda an agenda to recruit other believers to join their own kind. They had fooled my parents and two brothers but not me I held onto my identity.

Thats when things changed. My home was no longer the comfortable place I knew and loved. And there was nothing I could do about it.

It wasnt that my parents were abusive or weird, or anything. Its just that slowly I began to feel like an outsider in my own home with my own family and my resentment grew. It felt like they had left me behind. Maybe it was just I didnt hop on the same boat as they did I dont know. But I knew that my neighbors, and that Cross on the wall had everything to do with it.

Not long after that fateful visit, my mother began to place her Bible out in the living room; and everyday it was always opened to a new place with underlines and pink highlights. She and my dad began to like Christian music. (Which really wasnt too bad, but there was no way I was going to let them know that.) My brothers liked it too I would shut my door and listen to my own music. Which by the way became way too restrictive on my parents part.

We eventually started to say a prayer before we ate together even if we were at a restaurant. It was so embarrassing!

Dont get me wrong. I didnt doubt their love or anything; and they took their time explaining (ad nauseam) why we had a Cross on our wall too what it meant and all. But when you have to go to church, when your movies and friends are scrutinized, and your parents talk about things that arent natural well, I mean getting even with someone who does you wrong is natural right? Not according to them.

So Im warning you, if you like who you are and youre happy with life, and want everything to stay just as it is, dont show an interest in any displayed Cross where someone is close enough to hook you with The Story. Something happens that I cant explain.

And yes, there are times when I think about the pink highlights in my mothers Bible, and the Christmas and the family prayers, and I wish well anyway its lonely enough in this world, dont make it worse for yourself. People dont feel comfortable around someone who doesnt think normal and theyll eventually stay away.

Theyll want to stay away. Believe me, I know.

Thats what I do.








Pat Guy
2006
[email protected]

Pat Guy is a Christian author who enjoys sharing the connection of word and soul. She is a proud wife, a proud mom and an extremely proud Gramy.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print