First Song
by Marijo Phelps

My dust-covered legs ached. We had walked miles and miles with the throngs of others. Yet there was definitely more dust than people. Dust in our noses and mouths choking us as we traveled on.


She was in pain. Her right hand clutched to keep her upright. With her left hand, gripping her pregnant self, as if that might help the labor.


He rubbed her shoulders, patting her back as he raised his calloused hand to knock.


"Ah, we need a room, the babe."


"Sorry, this is my best season and we have been out of rooms for awhile now census you know.."


And we joined the dust-covered legs yet again moving to another door. He tried again "Sir, I beg of you a place, the babe is almost here and my wife can hardly sit anymore"


"No, we have no rooms"


"But sir, she can't have the baby sitting on a donkey. Please, isn't there some place?"


"Well, even the sheep have their shed; you can go out back with her."


And we walked a little farther on in time to see several wooly-bahs (I think he called them "sheep"). It was only minutes before the baby arrived and was tight-wrapped. I gave him my manger-crib for a bed.


As I ate the hay which fell down on the ground, I watched those tiny toes wiggle and knew I would never have another dinner this sweet. Then the wooly-bahs and I heard the most incredible song. We were directed by God's hand to join in. I sang bass; the wooly-bahs sang tenor and the angels.. Oh, my. Could you even call it singing? They were singing three dimensional notes that had a life of their own.


"Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace, goodwill towards men" (NKJV) The praise, the tangible joy, the anthem never before sung and never to be repeated. We took part in lauding this infant creator of the universe and King! I with my ey-haw, ey-haw and the bah, bah, bahs joining in. What a wonderful honor and night to remember!


Surely they would come to worship Him, those he had been created to liberate and set free. Several of them came, awe struck humans with crooked sticks, who took care of many wooly-bahs. Our unique chorus swelled. But where were the rest? Didn't they know? Did they have eyes of stone and hearts that couldn't see?


Years later I related this night and our part in it to my donkey grandson. He wanted to see this God-man, this Savior of humankind and worship Him. It was not a surprise to him at all when they came and led him away from his mom to be ridden by the Master. This time maybe the humans would see and know!


Many, many came shouting; "Hosanna! Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord! The King of Israel!" (NKJV)


My donkey grandson was the one He chose saying "Fear not, daughter of Zion; Behold your King is coming, Sitting on a donkey's colt."


We knew. The Mankind Liberator would be known now and we were part of this incredible history again.


Some did know. They came to the Liberator-God to be set free from their sin. But many of that multitude just days later had eyes of stone and hearts which couldn't see and cried "away with Him, crucify Him". (NKJV)


He died with most not understanding, He didn't come to take on Rome but to liberate humans from sin. It was terrible for three days with much mourning and crying out for those humans who loved Him.


Resurrection! Then, we all saw Him again. He walked and talked with many, and some actually had seeing eyes and hearts! But not so many called out.


Couldn't they know He was God sent to earth to be one of the humans? He came to pay their sin penalty and liberate them if they would but ask? We just did not understand.


So I would ask you today, do you have eyes of stone and a heart that cannot see or will you ask and receive the most incredible Christmas gift ever to be given? You don't even have to wait for Christmas, you know! He is listening. He is waiting. He wants only to hear your request for forgiveness to give you your new song to sing.

My blog is: http://myincrediblelord.blogspot.com/

(C) Marijo Phelps all rights reserved. Use with proper credits.

About Self 
 
Saved by His grace in 1974, from 9 years of professing atheism into His loving arms. RN for 23 years, missionary with YWAM then statistical analyst for Every Home for Christ over 9 years. Living with my husband in the middle of a mountain meadow. GRIN! Wanting to spread the good news

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print