Thoughts on the Proverbs 31 Woman
by Marijo Phelps

Proverbs 31
The Virtuous Wife

10 A capable, intelligent, and virtuous woman--who is he who can find her? She is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.


11 The heart of her husband trusts in her confidently and relies on and believes in her securely, so that he has no lack of [honest] gain or need of [dishonest] spoil.


12 She comforts, encourages, and does him only good as long as there is life within her.


13 She seeks out wool and flax and works with willing hands [to develop it].


14 She is like the merchant ships loaded with foodstuffs; she brings her household's food from a far [country].


15 She rises while it is yet night and gets [spiritual] food for her household and assigns her maids their tasks.


16 She considers a [new] field before she buys or accepts it [expanding prudently and not courting neglect of her present duties by assuming other duties]; with her savings [of time and strength] she plants fruitful vines in her vineyard. [S. of Sol. 8:12.]


17 She girds herself with strength [spiritual, mental, and physical fitness for her God-given task] and makes her arms strong and firm.


18 She tastes and sees that her gain from work [with and for God] is good; her lamp goes not out, but it burns on continually through the night [of trouble, privation, or sorrow, warning away fear, doubt, and distrust].


19 She lays her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.


20 She opens her hand to the poor, yes, she reaches out her filled hands to the needy [whether in body, mind, or spirit].(Amplified)


Proverbs 31

The Virtuous Wife

10 A capable, intelligent, and virtuous woman--who is he who can find her? She is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.


10a A man the Lord loves can find her, with discernment and an eye for worth. GOD can find her and so can the guy who seeks God.


10b The most valuable things in life are our relationships with God and with others.


11The heart of her husband trusts in her confidently and relies on and believes in her securely, so that he has no lack of [honest] gain or need of [dishonest] spoil.


Inside himself her husband is at rest about her: she is a good household businesswoman and she is thrifty and manages their money well.


12 She comforts, encourages, and does him only good as long as there is life within her.
She gives him comfort: will be there, be stable and compassionate and tender.


She will encourage him. This is active and aggressive meaning bolster and lift up to Jesus. Also to verbalize that "lifting up" to her husband by seeing and saying his strengths.


She will do him only good: choose his highest good, unselfishly, share his pluses and areas of strength with others. She will have a careful watch on her tongue, what she says and how she says it.


13 She seeks out wool and flax and works with willing hands [to develop it].


She makes raw materials into goods. Wool is scratchy and warm. Flax is made into linen. They are then woven into garments for her family and for sale. Her businesswoman aspect is shown here again.


14 She is like the merchant ships loaded with foodstuffs; she brings her household's food from a far [country].


This is talking about physical and spiritual food. She shows variety and creativity.


15 She rises while it is yet night and gets [spiritual] food for her household and assigns her maids their tasks.


Lord, God, help me to call upon You first and not dread the early part of this so much.


16 She considers a [new] field before she buys or accepts it [expanding prudently and not courting neglect of her present duties by assuming other duties]; with her savings [of time and strength] she plants fruitful vines in her vineyard. [S. of Sol. 8:12.]


She is to "look before she leaps and not overextend. Prudence leads to resources and reinvestment.


17 She girds herself with strength [spiritual, mental, and physical fitness for her God-given task] and makes her arms strong and firm.


She "puts on" strength. This indicates "active" strength. It is available and she actively "puts it on".


18 She tastes and sees that her gain from work [with and for God] is good; her lamp goes not out, but it burns on continually through the night [of trouble, privation, or sorrow, warning away fear, doubt, and distrust].


God seems to enjoy "eating" metaphors.


She had oil for ALL times This oil could indicate the Holy Spirit too. The oil keeps fear, doubt and distrust away (but not necessarily bad times).


19 She lays her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.


She uses her skills and is willing.


20 She opens her hand to the poor, yes, she reaches out her filled hands to the needy [whether in body, mind, or spirit].


She had abundance to give: physical provision, mental provision, spiritual provision.


She gave freely to those in need.


She made an effort and reached out.


21 She fears not the snow for her family, for all her household are doubly clothed in scarlet.


Her household is ready for inclement weather and times.


Prayer: Dear Lord, help me to know that you will not call me to something that is impossible. That in the calling, you will provide, prepare and go before me.


Help me to be able to see more and more of what you are saying in this Proverb.


Help me to become more and more than woman who is completely yours and a blessing to all who meet her. AMEN

My blog is: http://myincrediblelord.blogspot.com/

(C) Marijo Phelps all rights reserved. Use with proper credits.

About Self 
 
Saved by His grace in 1974, from 9 years of professing atheism into His loving arms. RN for 23 years, missionary with YWAM then statistical analyst for Every Home for Christ over 9 years. Living with my husband in the middle of a mountain meadow. GRIN! Wanting to spread the good news

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print