Easily Offended
by PamFord Davis

It is said that some people "wear their heart on their sleeve." That is an interesting thought. It would make them extra vulnerable. If our heart is exposed it becomes an easy target! Attacks will come and sadly often from those who are closest to us. In our homes we will say things to those we love that cut deep. We would never think of treating outsiders that way! If the home is our castle, at times we may be worthy of banishment to solitary confinement in the dungeon!

Man has always had problems holding his tongue and we continue to let it out of the cage too often! When I was a very young girl I had a speech impediment, a very noticeable lisp. Today if I am overtired it sometimes returns. I was pronouncing the "s" sounds more like "th." In school I took speech classes in Elementary school and again briefly in Jr. High to correct the problem. I know I am rambling, but there is method to my madness... The speech teacher in my very early years said to imagine that my tongue was a snake behind my teeth. Then as I would hiss, guess what? There was the "s" sound I needed! She may have not realized how true it was about the tongue being like a snake. It's poison is just as deadly ( James 3:7-10).

Not only do we need to be more careful what we say but also learn to not be offended so easily. Many times things are said in jest, but we take them seriously. As young people say, "Lighten up or Chill out!" An extra place to turn for help when oversensitive is God's word. "Great peace have they who love Your law; nothing shall offend them or make them stumble." (Psalms 119:165 Amplified Version)

Don't wear your heart on your sleeve. Tuck it safely away. God will guard it!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print