The Southern Gentleman
by PamFord Davis

I was a Yankee with deep family roots in the northeast. The Yankee life was the only life I knew. One day that all changed when I met a southern gentleman. My future husband had moved up to Syracuse, New York from Louisiana, to work at a local radio station. We had a blind date and he swept me off my feet with his southern charm. Other boyfriends had worn shirts and blue jeans for our dates. He arrived for our first date in a suit and tie and opened doors for me. The southern gentleman treated me like a lady. His beautiful smile and blue eyes won my heart. During our courtship he led me to a personal trust in Jesus as my Lord and Savior. We were married seven months after our first date. During our forty one years of marriage life has been many things; boring is not one of them! We raised two children while living in several states coast to coast. We met wonderful people everywhere we went. Our main occupation has been in Broadcasting; but he also has worked in many part time jobs. That would be another story. This is to recognize him for his warmth shared with all of those he meets. Nobody is a stranger to Norm. He speaks to everyone who crosses his path.

One thing that makes me so proud to be his wife is his way of making everyone feel special. He has rubbed shoulders with political leaders, even interviewed two past Presidents, before they held that office, President Clinton and President George H. Bush. As a news director he interviewed them and also Ross Perot. M,any years later while living in Florida he became very involved in county and state politics. At that time he met Governor Jeb Bush and Charlie Crist, the current Governor. I share all of that to draw a contrast. He has also held many menial day labor jobs, from digging ditches to shoveling sand out of condo buildings following Hurricane Opal. He also worked as a maintenance man at fast food restaurants for several years. He has been as friendly to his minimum wage co-workers as he had been to government leaders. '" A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother." (Proverbs 18:24) Who is the man that greets everyone he meets? I am sure you know by now. That man is my wonderful "Southern Gentleman!"

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print