Calling My Name
by PamFord Davis

Babies and young children recognize the sound of their name spoken by family and care givers. Not only do they listen because they recognize their name, but also the voice of the one calling. It is a voice they have learned to trust because they meet their needs.

In my teen years my sister, a friend and I were dropped off at a dance in a fire department hall. After getting inside, we learned many of our friends were not there; they were instead at a private party.

We decided to leave the dance and walk to the party close by. After we got there we called home to explain the change of plans. Well, we were quickly and firmly given instructions to return to the dance.

On the way back to the fire department a car slowed down along side of us and the boy driving offered us a ride. I wanted no part of that and just kept walking.

From the back seat I heard my name, "Pam," called out by the voice of a boy I liked and recognized.

We rode back to where we started that evening; I guess we got our share of exercise on the roads instead of a dance floor.

The illustration points to some one else who spoke a name clearly. The sound of her name was music to Marys' ears. Following the brutal death and hurried burial of her Lord she was confused by the sight of His empty tomb (John 20:11-15).

Mary turned around and saw a man standing there but didn't realize that it was Jesus.

"Jesus said to her Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?' Supposing Him to be the gardener, she said to Him, 'Sir, if you have carried Him away, tell me where you have laid Him, and I will take Him away.' Jesus said to her, 'Mary!' She turned and said to Him in Hebrew, 'Rabboni!' (which means Teacher) (John 20:15-16 NAS)

She carried the news 'I have seen the Lord' (John 20:18).

Listen, He tenderly calls you by name. When He does you will have a message to share; 'I have seen the Lord!'

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print