Duct Tape And Flashlights
by PamFord Davis

Do you remember the times when a young child would run to you with a "boo-boo," wanting a bandage and a kiss to make everything alright? I think they may have something there! Both of the remedies are user friendly and easily applied with a dose of love! There is no need to worry about dispensing too much, either.

My father believed most things in life could be held securely in place and seen clearly with two handy items, duct tape and flash lights! No problem is too big to handle if you keep plenty on hand! We all found it easy at gift time. Flashlights are available in a variety of shapes, sizes and price ranges. He owned a large flood light, perfect for emergencies on the road. Inside the home flashlights were always kept close at hand and batteries were replaced often. Naturally he also had one that plugged in to an electric outlet to recharge! The popular flashlight-radio combination would rank high on any collector list.

Duct tape kept everything securely wrapped and re-enforced. Packages sent across the country to children would be a challenge for safe crackers to open! He taped broken car fenders or tail lights, giving him the pride of a job well done. Unwinding rolls of tape gave satisfaction!

Spiritually, we would be wise to follow Dad's example. "Thy word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path (Psalm 119:105 NAS)." God's word gives light along life's pathway and prevents our feet from tripping or wandering outside of God's will. John the Baptist came to prepare the way for Jesus, the true light, "There was the true light which coming into the world, enlightens every man. He was in the world and the world was made through Him and the world did not know Him (John 1:9-10)." How tragic! Jesus enlightens us as preparation for our assignment to spread the light. "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden (Matthew 5:14 NAS)." Are you willing, are you prepared, to be "Ever-ready," and shine your light in the darkness?

The comparison of spiritual light and flashlights is pretty simple to grasp; but how do we function as duct tape? "And beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity (Colossians 3:14 NAS)." Our love becomes a permanent bond, a super glue or duct tape, holding believers together in unity! "being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace (Ephesians 4:3)." I desire my life to act as duct tape in relationships, strengthening and protecting peace.

Does God use duct tape? "I led them with cords of a man with bonds of love, and I became to them as one who lifts the yoke from their jaws, and I bent down and fed them (Hosea 11:4 NAS)." I visualize a man or woman wrapped in cords or duct tape of love, totally embraced by the loving Father.

I may never appreciate duct tape or flashlights as much as my Dad did; but I appreciate him, his love, and the security of being wrapped in the loving arms of my heavenly Father.

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print