Lessons I've Learned From Ma' And Pa' Kettle
by PamFord Davis

Hours of entertainment and humor were provided in a series of movies featuring the characters, "Ma' and Pa' Kettle." I watched their movies on television when I was a child. Our children saw them on weekend matinees; and now they are on DVD. Our grandsons pull it out each time they visit! Their movies are timeless, providing belly laughs and bring back happy memories.

I believe we can glean valuable lessons from this man and wife. First, we need to avoid living by the clock. Pa' did his chores at a slow pace and enjoyed frequent naps. A hammock under a shade tree, on a breezy day would do nicely! Work does have its' place in life and Ma' made sure all details were followed.

Their life centered on a large family. Children were a blessing and each was loved equally. There would be plenty of time for play; but first the children had responsibilities. Animals needing feeding, garden work should be tackled; and dishes and laundry were daily chores. With such a large family, valuable lessons of teamwork were demonstrated. The older children willingly helped in the care of younger sisters and brothers.

Ma' and Pa' did not always agree; but their commitment to one another and the children held them firmly together. The Kettles' faced frequent problems, like any average family. Sharing disappointments they faced tomorrow together, cushioned by times of happiness.

Love for neighbors kept the welcome mat out. They were part of a close knit community; and if a helping hand was needed, Ma' would be among the first to reach out.

A reading from 1 Corinthians chapter 13 reveals a good description of Ma' Kettle. She displayed enormous patience with her husband, who clearly did not carry his share of the load. Her love looked past his weakness and into his heart, with eyes to see the good in her man. "Love is patient, love is kind (1Corinthians 13:4a NAS) "does not take into account a wrong suffered (1 Corinthians 13:5b NAS) "bears all things, believes all things, endures all things (1Corinthians 13:7 NAS)." Yes, the Apostle Paul would see genuine love in Ma' Kettle.

My son is very rarely seen without a cap on his head. I wonder if Pa' Kettle influenced him more than I realized? He wore his hat to bed!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print