FREE CHRISTIAN REPRINT ARTICLES
Christian Articles for All of your Publishing Needs!
Word Count: 376
|Send Article To Friend||Print/Use Article|
Benjamin Franklin should have read the Bible more.
by Annie Glasel
4/29/2010 / Christian Apologetics
I often wonder why so many over educated people believe in such myths as "God helps those who help themselves." Is it because they require God to be fair? Is it because they know God so much better than those who cannot read but believe every word of God in the Bible?
I guess the first question we should ask ourselves is "who or what is God in this statement." Surely, it cannot be the God of the Bible, God of the Israelites, God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob, the God of Jesus Christ, my savior and Lord.
Surely if Ben were talking about this particular God, Ben must have not read the Bible clearly.
Because according to my Bible (KJV, NKJV, The Message, the Living Translation, NIV, NAS, Amplified), God helps anyone He wants to.
Here is just a short list of people who did not help themselves --
1. Lazarus - well, his excuse was that he was dead and buried for 3 days.
2. Hagar - she ran away from home and then set her child away from her so that she would not have to watch him die.
3. The woman at the well - she was not looking for Jesus, she was not trying to better herself.
4. The Widow with only a little bit of flour and oil left - she was ready to eat her last meal and die.
Now, here are few examples of God not helping those who helped themselves.
1. Saul - he helped himself to making the sacrifice instead of waiting for Samuel because he was in a hurry.
2. Abraham and Sarah - helped themselves to get a son by involving Hagar.
3. Adam and Eve - helped themselves to the forbidden fruit.
4. Judas - helped himself to a little extra cash.
Ultimately, I don't think God is about us helping ourselves, proving our worth by becoming self-reliant. Otherwise, he would not have destroyed the tower of Babel.
According to the Bible, God wants us to rely on him by faith and obey His command, His still small voice, His laws. God's way (much higher than Ben's way) often defies common sense. Nevertheless, it is the ONLY way to receive real divine help.
I've written to ease my pain; I've written to hear my voice; I've written for vanity; I've written for sanity; I've written for fun; I've written for laughs; I've written for me; I've written for money. But until I write for God, this talent is for naught.
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! Click here and TRUST JESUS NOW
Read more articles by Annie Glasel
Like reading Christian Articles? Check out some more options. Read articles in Main Site Articles, Most Read Articles or our highly acclaimed Challenge Articles. Read Great New Release Christian Books for FREE in our Free Reads for Reviews Program. Or enter a keyword for a topic in the search box to search our articles.
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.