Mary of Magdala A Fun Bible Object Lesson for Your Kids
by Kathy Vincent 11/24/2010 / Education
Mary of Magdala cared deeply for her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I believe you would too if He had set you free from the torture of 7 demons. Here is a fun Bible object lesson for your kids to learn about this special story.
Here's what you do:
The object you will use for this lesson will be a picture of Mary of Magdala. You can find many choices of pictures from Google Images. The bigger the picture, the better. Post it on your chalkboard or bulletin board. Next, make 6 strips of paper the width of your picture and write the 6 sentences found down below in Point 2, one on each.
Ask the following questions to help stimulate discussion:
1. Raise your hand if you've ever heard of Mary of Magdala? (Wait for responses.)
2. Can anyone tell me about her? (Wait for resposes.)
3. The story of Mary is a special story.
4. Share a version of the story of Mary of Magdala with your children.
5. Say the following: Let's learn a little more about this special woman and her story and how it teaches us to live our lives for God. Here are 3 important points about this truth.
Point 1: There are so many wonderful people in the bible. God wants us to learn about these people, to study their lives and to see if we can learn something from them that could change our lives. Today we're going to study a lady named Mary who came from a city called Magdala. Now, this is not Jesus' mother. This was a different Mary.
Point 2: For our second point today, let's take our picture of Mary and one by one place these sentences that describe Mary on top of the picture.
1. Jesus commanded 7 devils to leave Mary forever. Mary was free!
2. Mary's life was no longer hopeless and filled with fear, because Jesus cared about her.
3. Mary instantly followed Jesus and became His forever friend.
4. When Jesus died on the cross, Mary stayed with Him. She was a faithful friend to Him during His hardest time.
5. She was the first person to be told by an angel that Jesus was alive and that He rose from the dead.
6. She got to share the good news with all her other friends and the other followers of Jesus.
Point 3: Wow! What a special life Mary had. Jesus healed her. She got to see an angel and became Jesus' forever friend. God touched her life in wonderful ways. He wants to touch your life in special ways too!
This 3-Point Bible Object Lesson for Kids was inspired by my reading of C.H. Spurgeon's devotional on Mark 16:9 from his book Morning and Evening. You too can be inspired by your favorite Christian authors and come up with your own 3-Point Sermon for Kids.
If you liked this Sunday School/Homeschooling idea, then sign up to receive Scripture Lady's Free Email Newsletter packed full with creative ideas and receive 6 FREE Bible Review Games to help get the kids you minister to excited about the Bible!