Would you like to have someone to talk to who can relate to what you're experiencing? Perhaps you would like to communicate with someone who has been through eating disorder recovery or other difficulties, but has made it to the other side. Maybe you desire some added support and encouragement.
Many in eating disorder recovery benefit from having a Christian counselor. While Christian counseling is appropriate for basically any reason the client would like to have a Christian counselor, listed below are some common circumstances under which a person might seek a Christian counselor during eating disorder recovery.
1. While seeking diagnosis and treatment.
Although a Christian counselor does not diagnose or treat an eating disorder, he or she can be a vital support in helping the client seek help. The Christian counselor can help search for area eating disorder providers or give direction on who to call or what websites to check to find help. The Christian counselor may also provide accountability for the client to follow through with appointments.
2. While facing challenges in the recovery process.
Eating disorder recovery is one of the most difficult, if not the hardest, of challenges a person may ever experience. A Christian counselor can support the client in following the prescribed treatment plan, in resisting eating disorder behaviors, in following a meal plan, and in clinging to what inspires the client. A Christian counselor can provide practical tips to avoid engaging in eating disorder behaviors.
3. To discuss emotions and underlying issues.
The client has a safe place to talk about feelings as well as matters that caused and continue to trigger eating disorder behaviors. A Christian counselor can help the client to recognize and process current emotions. A Christian counselor can also help the client address the inner pain that feeds the eating disorder. In addition, a Christian counselor can offer advice regarding underlying issues.
4. After getting out of inpatient or residential treatment.
Many people struggle after leaving the protective environment that inpatient or residential treatment provides. A Christian counselor can encourage the client to practice the coping skills learned while receiving inpatient or residential care and to follow through on subsequent treatment.
5. To receive spiritual encouragement.
A Christian counselor can pray for the client and help the client search the Scriptures for vital truths and promises to cling to in recovery. Whether it's helping the client see his or her identity in Christ, assisting in applying the biblical principle of renewing the mind, or encouraging the client to have a closer relationship with God, the Christian counselor can provide spiritual guidance that will help the client invite the Lord into all aspects of the eating disorder recovery process.
The client can receive all of the benefits listed above and more. And this can all be done through online Christian counseling for eating disorder recovery. Consider the benefits of receiving Christian counseling via e-mail.
1. The client can e-mail at any time. He or she can also take whatever time is needed to clearly express thoughts, feelings, struggles or victories.
2. The Christian counselor can take whatever time is needed to think through what the client has shared, consider what might also be between the lines, pray about how to respond, and carefully construct a well thought out reply. What a benefit to the client than hearing from someone who is replying on the spot or in a hurried manner.
3. The client is not limited by location. Some may live in remote areas or in places where assistance for eating disorder recovery is limited.
4. With e-mail Christian counseling, the client can maintain a written record of his or her eating disorder recovery experience. Sometimes the details in one's memory fade, but with e-mails, the client can look back and be encouraged by reviewing past victories or being reminded of helpful tips and principles for eating disorder recovery.
Eating disorder recovery is hard work, but having an online Christian counselor can lighten the burden. Having a Christian counselor just an e-mail away in eating disorder recovery can provide vital support, encouragement, accountability and spiritual guidance for the client.
Laurie Glass has a Master of Ministry degree in Christian Counseling and is the author of Journey to Freedom from Eating Disorders. She is a recovered anorexic who offers online Christian counseling services to adult women with eating disorders. See her website at http://freedomfromed.com/.
Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! TRUST JESUS NOW
JOIN US at FaithWriters for Free. Grow as a Writer and Spread the Gospel.